You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-13 11:26:35

frank56

Solved Am I a "competent GNU/Linux user?"

"Arch Linux is an independently-developed i686/x86-64 community distribution, based on a rolling-release model and targeted at competent GNU/Linux users" first arch linux wiki

I have so many basic questions, in particular, when working from terminal or console, that I question my competency with GNU/Linux. Although I have the ISO images from more than a dozen distros, most of my experience has been with Debian. My top accomplishment there, was creating a Debian package from non Debian source.

I felt rather proud of getting sound going on my own here on Arch Linux. But now, I am asking for help to get video started. My main point, is I do not want to slow down others that are competent GNU/Linux users. However I do want to become more competent as a Linux user. I want to move on, past a pre built ready to go linux system. Should I go back to Debian? Look for another Distro to help me accomplish that? These are the question, I need help with. No doubt I will have many more.

By the way, no one has made any unwelcome or rude comments. My response is only in reaction to the above statement in Arch Linux Wiki.  Frank

Subsequent edit. Thanks for all the answers, and all express a willingness to help me. I understand, I must first try to help myself by reading, the beginners manual, wikis, and searching the web. I like the idea, of spending at least 2 hours, trying to solve a problem, before posting a question.

Last edited by frank56 (2010-05-13 20:05:13)

#2 2010-05-13 11:32:51

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Solved Am I a "competent GNU/Linux user?"

As long as you are prepared to research your problems on the wiki, forums, google etc and try helping yourself first, you are more than welcome to ask for help around here.   Arch is great for those that want to learn, just be prepared to help yourself too.

#3 2010-05-13 11:38:16

JackH79
Website

I think you're in the right place. In my book (and I think most here would agree) a competent Linux user is someone who is able and willing to read manuals and other documentation. He does NOT nead to know everything. As long as you are willing to do a little research on your own and to try things out, Arch'll be the best place for you. I consider myself a confident user, which means that I have no trouble using Linux on a regular base and that I can help myself in a number of situations. (Doesn't mean that there are many, many user here on the forum that know a LOT more than me!) And when I can't help myself anymore ... well, then there is this forum.

In short: don't be intimidated by the "competent GNU/Linux users".

Edit: too late wink

Last edited by JackH79 (2010-05-13 11:40:07)

#4 2010-05-13 11:45:00

Trent

Gentoo may do it.  Install several times.  Do it with an encrypted /home, an encrypted /, with and without genkernel, with sound, with X, with eye candy, with hi-res framebuffer, with a minimal kernel and with a huge kernel, on the newest, buggiest, most beta hardware you can find.  Quite the learning experience smile  Arch seems to appeal more strongly to people who are already very competent because it offers a user-defined balance between control and micromanagement (plus is really stable out of the box).  Gentoo is a greater learning experience (IMO) because it errs on the side of micromanagement.

That said, it's perfectly possible to use Arch as a learning tool, and everyone on these forums is willing to help you with your technical issues.  I imagine that many people, including myself, learned most about Linux by experimentation, so if you want to increase your level of competence, just get in the habit of breaking things and asking for help when you can't fix them yourself wink

#5 2010-05-13 13:04:12

Cyrusm

frank56 wrote:

"
I have so many basic questions, in particular, when working from terminal or console, that I question my competency with GNU/Linux. Although I have the ISO images from more than a dozen distros, most of my experience has been with Debian. My top accomplishment there, was creating a Debian package from non Debian source.

I do not want to slow down others that are competent GNU/Linux users. However I do want to become more competent as a Linux user. I

.  Frank

First of all, Welcome to Arch cool  I wouldn't worry too much about slowing anyone down, The purpose of these forums is for others in the community to share and document problems and help each other to find a solution.  Just make sure that if you need help, you take a look through previously documented problems (wiki, google, previous forum posts, man pages, etc) and try to make as much progress on your own as you can, this will at least result in better details for the person helping.

Example of what not to do:  Hai Archers big_smile Just got here from UBuntu and all I see is a command line, can I haz gnome?

example of what to do:  Hai Archers big_smile Just got here from UBuntu After reading through the beginners guide, and several wiki pages in regards to X server, I have my machine set up with a gnome desktop environment, is there any way I can start the X server without having to enter startx everytime?  I've researched login managers and I don't feel this is the solution for me.

this is just a basic example I pulled off of the top of my head, basically, just ask intelligent questions and you'll do great.

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#6 2010-05-13 13:19:29

nixpunk

Allan wrote:

As long as you are prepared to research your problems on the wiki, forums, google etc and try helping yourself first, you are more than welcome to ask for help around here.   Arch is great for those that want to learn, just be prepared to help yourself too.

This should be added to the wiki too. tongue

Last edited by nixpunk (2010-05-13 13:19:54)

#7 2010-05-13 13:20:52

evot

Arch linux is great distribution for learning linux. smile

Wiki and forum have lots of information in almost every situation.
Assume that you have other computer in next to you, so you can easily read that info during installation and other problems you may face.
I personally have learned almost all what i know about linux with Arch linux.

#8 2010-05-13 13:36:52

Berticus

Trent wrote:

Gentoo may do it.  Install several times.  Do it with an encrypted /home, an encrypted /, with and without genkernel, with sound, with X, with eye candy, with hi-res framebuffer, with a minimal kernel and with a huge kernel, on the newest, buggiest, most beta hardware you can find.  Quite the learning experience smile  Arch seems to appeal more strongly to people who are already very competent because it offers a user-defined balance between control and micromanagement (plus is really stable out of the box).  Gentoo is a greater learning experience (IMO) because it errs on the side of micromanagement.

That said, it's perfectly possible to use Arch as a learning tool, and everyone on these forums is willing to help you with your technical issues.  I imagine that many people, including myself, learned most about Linux by experimentation, so if you want to increase your level of competence, just get in the habit of breaking things and asking for help when you can't fix them yourself wink

This was more or less my experience before coming to arch.

#9 2010-05-13 15:44:17

davidm

As long as you check the usual places before asking a question I doubt anyone will ever get annoyed.  Maybe as a general rule there should be something like the "Two hour rule" - spend at least two hours trying to figure something out before asking a question. smile  The only time people get annoyed seems to be when the person makes no effort whatsoever and in some cases even refuses to listen to the advice or suggestions given.  You seem fine.

Board footer