You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-22 16:31:44

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

code snippets? embedding other languages

going to probe some of you for some information:
I'm looking for some code snippets to load, into a c program, another language module, and execute a function by name...

any language will do, I'm just looking for a point of reference...

if possible, and you know how, I'd like to know how to convert a simple native type in the language, to a C struct...

i'll make up a language to demonstrate what I'm looking for:

# !/usr/bin/env phrak
#phrak-script
string hello_whirled()
{
  string s = "hello";
  return s + " whirled";
}
#include <phrak-script.h>
phrakscript_init();
phrakscript* s = phrak_script_load("test.phrak");
phrakscript_obj* o = s->get_symbol("hello_whirled");

if(o->is_callable())
  std::cout << o->call().to_string();

phrakscript_free_obj(o);
phrakscript_free(s);

#2 2005-03-22 17:13:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: code snippets? embedding other languages

You're writing a freaking scripting language now? what happened to the window manager????

http://docs.python.org/api/intro.html

Have a look at that yet?

I can tell you exactly how to embed groovy into java.... :-D

Dusty

#3 2005-03-22 17:32:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

no, the scripting language was a demo... I'm not writing one...

Right now I'm going to work on an indepth module framework... the core of the WM is pretty easy, if I have it conceptualized correctly... it's not hard to make a C/C++ only module framework, but I'd like to understand how one accesses external languages so I can design it properly...

right now, I'm torn between the following styles of "linking" modules to the core:

apache style: precisely named C structures which contain function pointers
xchat style: precisely named functions, loaded individually
misc ideas: one single "switch" type function which calls the appropriate module function (??)

basically, before I finalize the "glue", I'd like to know if that glue is extensible...

#4 2005-03-22 17:52:43

i3839

It depends on the design of the wm which style is best. If you have a lot functions, then apache style is best. If you only have a few, you can as wel use dlsym(). The misc idea is of a different kind than the other two, as it only tells something about the function and nothing about how the functions are found. It's a way to get in a big mess if you don't look out, so watch out with it.

Server client style:
The X way: through local sockets.
Some other IPC like message queues or whatever.
Fork + exec and pipes.

Anyway, I wouldn't add support for other languages directly, but let a language specific wrapper plugin handle it (though if you use the last of the above styles then the core doesn't care about the client format, as long as it runs).

#5 2005-03-22 18:51:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah, I debated using IPC mechanisms for a while but decided it added a layer I didn't really want... however, the more I think about incorporating in other languages, the more ipc tends to appeal (for instance, using some basic IPC, I can even create modules in bash)

Pros and cons of going with formatted fifo ipc? not really sure atm.

Using a messaging mechanism wouldn't work in the way that I would like it to....

I believe I'm close to something which will allow for loadable python modules... and perhaps perl could work too, given enough research...

Board footer