You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-12 16:48:36

pottzie

[solved] No dhcpd : No /etc/dhcpd.conf file

I've managed to get the KDE desktop running, but ever since starting KDE, I haven't been able to connect to anything online. When I tried to check and edit the /etc/dhcpd.conf file, that file doesn't exist. Looked at the Beginner's Guide but didn't see where I skipped whatever I should have done to make the file. Install worked great, so dhcp worked for that.
What do I do to get dhcp to work? Checked /etc/rc.conf and eth0="dhcp" is uncommented.

Last edited by pottzie (2010-05-14 05:11:38)

#2 2010-05-12 17:57:42

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] No dhcpd : No /etc/dhcpd.conf file

You're looking for /etc/dhcpcd.conf, not /etc/dhcpd.conf. You can also check /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd.

The wiki network page is useful, and also the beginners' guide.

#3 2010-05-12 18:23:13

pottzie

All right, at least I've got that! It was a typo. Now to see what's up with dhcp, but /etc/dhcpcd.conf does exist.
There were some daemons that the Beginner's Guide called for that never seemed to show up, but KDE did start OK. Wonder if that's about to show up and haunt me. Right now I have three, "network netfs crond,"  "network crond alsa," "and dbus hal networkmanager alsa crond kdm." Hal's seemed kinda "maybe-ish," as when I entered what I thought was suggested, sometimes nothing happened, sometimes some things did.
Don't know if that's a factor or not, since it did open KDE. I'm leaving for work shortly, will check out the wiki from there and hopefully have an "aha" moment.

#4 2010-05-13 04:39:16

pottzie

Got it! Had to run /etc/rc.d/network restart. Now it works.
Whoa, hold on, my mistake. I opened Konqueror and Google popped up, so I thought it was fixed. Turns out Konqueror just saved the image from the last session, and I had to do "/etc/rc.d/network restart" again to fix it. I'm guessing hal, daemon, or my computer is developing an evil sense of humor.
Hey, I got it go to Google. Sure don't want to have to memorize this line of code to do it, though.

Last edited by pottzie (2010-05-13 04:50:19)

#5 2010-05-14 02:40:27

lamegaptop

What do you mean by this?

wrote:

Right now I have three, "network netfs crond,"  "network crond alsa," "and dbus hal networkmanager alsa crond kdm." Hal's seemed kinda "maybe-ish," as when I entered what I thought was suggested, sometimes nothing happened, sometimes some things did

If those are what you are placing in the daemon section of your /etc/rc.conf then that's probably your problem. Don't use networkmanager daemon unless you have 'networkmanager' and 'network-manager-applet' installed.

Try this

(hal syslog-ng network netfs crond alsa)

Look here for network configuration
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … NG_Section

And here to start KDM using /etc/inittab instead of /etc/rc.conf
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis … mmended.29

Have Fun!

Don't break the silence unless you can improve upon it.

#6 2010-05-14 05:11:10

pottzie

That fixed it. Part fo the problem was that I had 3 seperate DAEMONS=(..) in /etc/rc.conf ! Took a deep breath, copied what I had ("just in case"), read the directions (a dozen times) took another deep breath, edited the files. Rebooted and everything works.
Did I say thanks yet? Thanks!

Board footer