You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-17 12:53:49

fatum

Advanced Keyboard Configuration (KeyRelease event tweaking)

Hi there.

Im trying to learn how to configure my keyboard to make it work the same way as it works in ubuntu.

Let me explain:
When i press a key, there is a delay (i think) before the autorepeat character stuff start to work. I (mostly) think this time is lower in ubuntu, and i would like to know where do i find this option to check the config in both distros.

If you wonder about the reasons behind this, i tell you i (almost) only play videogames. Actually im playing World of Warcraft.
The difference between ubuntu and arch when playing wow is the way i press my keys. In ubuntu i can keep the button pressed, and let the "autorepeat character stuff" do the autocast thing. So it cast the same spell repeatedly as long as i keep the key pressed.
In archlinux, this doesn't work. It just work the same way it does normaly on a windows desktop, just pass one key input each time i press the keyboard (ignoring i didnt release the key)

So, i would like to know if there is some way to configure the time before this "autorepeat stuff" starts to repeat the same keyboard input, the time between each repetition, and stuff like that.

Anyway, im not really sure this is the keyboard option im looking for, so any ideas are really apreciated. wink

PS: Im not sure im posting this question in the right place, so let me know if you move the thread somewhere else.
PSS: Sorry about my crappy english.

EDIT:  Changed the topic name & added links to the bug causing this behavior in my last post, as long as a link to the fix wich was implemented to correct it.

Last edited by fatum (2010-05-14 06:59:25)

#2 2010-03-17 14:50:06

LeoSolaris

Re: Advanced Keyboard Configuration (KeyRelease event tweaking)

http://www.karakas-online.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2648

P.S. Game related questions usually fit better in 'Multimedia and Games' section.

P.P.S. Your English was better than some native speakers I know. Very clear and readable. Only nitpicks (minor things) would be capitalizing " I " and using an apostrophe in contractions like " I'm ", but for very inform things like thread posts, it's completely ignorable.
Good job!
English is hard to learn if you're not born in an English speaking country or learn it before you were five. Only thing I would rate as harder to learn would be Mandarin Chinese for non-Asian speakers.

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#3 2010-03-23 04:57:34

fatum

Thank you for the tips, LeoSolaris. Its really nice to know how to configure the keyboard autorepeat rates in linux.

Anyway, i was doing some tweaking with different rates, but this doesnt seem to be the keyboard option wich is different in ubuntu vs archlinux. It could be some kind of wine keyboard option, or anything different i didnt discover yet.

The problem seems to be the way wine (or whatever) pass the keyboard input to the game. I dont know what option really do the trick, so any ideas?

P.S. I didnt post this question in the "Multimedia and Games" section because this seems to be a keyboard thread.
P.P.S. I think u flattered me a little bit, but anyway... flatter is always good to raise self love, so... Go On! xD

#4 2010-03-23 06:22:23

droog

assuming you're using gnome a quick google gave me this.
System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Key Repeat
It was people turning off the repeat in wow, should work to enable it too.

#5 2010-03-23 19:43:34

fatum

I didnt test gnome in archlinux yet and i think i rly should. I'm using arch+openbox atm.

I tested this issue in ubuntu+openbox and the autorepeat stuff worked the same way as it did in ubuntu+gnome. This openbox i'm talking about was installed over a default ubuntu install, without removing gnome and its configuration defaults.

Also i forgot to mention the way this issue works in arch+openbox actually. When i press a key, and i dont release it, the game keeps the button pressed till i release it. The exact moment i release the key is the exact moment when the spell is casted. In ubuntu, pressing the key and not releasing it, starts the autorepeat stuff, spamming the spell till the key is released.

@droog: i think i also read that forum post where people was complaining because they find this spam really annoying. Pity i couldnt find anything googling about this issue. ty for the tip though wink

#6 2010-05-14 06:49:10

fatum

Well, I finally found a clue about this issue.

After reading TONS of posts where ppl was complaining about how annoying this issue was for them, I found that this was caused by an unexpected behavior of the xorg and the autorepeat stuff.

The xorg was sending the release event over and over. It was chaining "press" "release" "press" "release" events, even if you didnt release the key at all.

This is the link to the bug.
This is the link to the fix.

A fix was already implemented into the xorg. This explains the difference I encountered between ubuntu and archlinux. In arch the fix was implemented way before than it was in ubuntu.

------------------------------------------

Soo... now the topic changes a little bit.

What can I do to make this "bug" a feature? I would like to keep my keys pressed and make the xorg chain-repeat the release event for me.

Any tips/links to continue my research?

ty in advice. smile

Board footer