You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-15 03:57:10

Convergence

[resolved]Creating a formal outline for a class.

I'm taking a public speaking class, and I have to turn in my outline for it using the traditional form. For instance:

I. intro
  A.attention getter
  B. Preview
    1.blah
    2. blah
        a. blah
        b. Blah

I couldn't find a way to automate this in open office.  It would automate the numbered sections, but would choke on the lettered sections.  I got the first couple of assignments done by manually tabbing etc.  It was still slightly inconsistent though. 

I don't want anyone to try to figure out a way to do this for me, I'm just hoping that someone has already found a way to automate this completely.  I don't necessarily have to use OpenOffice.org.  Any program that can output a professional looking paper that automates this task will do.  There are so many programs to try, including note taking programs, lyx, etc., I will look around a little myself, but the point is to save time, so if you've already conquered this problem, please let me know how.  Thanks.

Last edited by Convergence (2010-05-15 19:07:09)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#2 2010-05-15 10:10:25

Labello
Website

Re: [resolved]Creating a formal outline for a class.

you have got to apply the appropriate styles for lines you want to be a heading... and depending on their position in the text they should be pre-fixed corretly. i think the stylewindow can be opened with F11 and while your cursor is in a certain line... then you can choose some style and the heading should be formatted and intended correctly. btw: these applied styles are also used for index-table-generation ;-)

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#3 2010-05-15 19:06:40

Convergence

Re: [resolved]Creating a formal outline for a class.

Wow, this is what happens when you are always in a hurry.  I tried to set the styles as you have suggested, but I couldn't get it to work before.  Today, I tried it again, and found the proper settings.  Worked like a charm.  Thanks.

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

Board footer