You are not logged in.

#76 2010-04-20 23:49:45

bones
Website

Re: Haiku / BeOS

My Bad. I build a new iso while using Haiku then burn to cd. Test it on laptop first then if all fine, install over the original system. Still keeps all my settings and files. But am looking at seeing if there's a way of installing from Haiku itself.

I'm using GCC4 hybrid also. Using WebPositive. The speed is amazing.

If they get a good word processor then I will use it most of the time. Abiword doesn't work for me just yet. Still trying out a few other apps. Might try porting some to Haiku.
A package manager would be nice also but I will never get rid of my beloved Arch. No matter how good it gets.:cool:

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#77 2010-04-21 00:56:34

Pyntux

I can not read all of topic, but can someone say to me how to install Haiku in virtual box, I downloaded haiku for VM, zip...but virtualbox says he can not use that image, image is read only...Is there any how to, to solve this and try Haiku?

I do not speak English, but I understand...

#78 2010-04-21 01:03:54

pseudonomous

Just use the normal install iso, boot the vm off that iso and install.

#79 2010-04-21 12:05:30

flamelab

Does Haiku have a package manager or something ?

#80 2010-04-21 12:43:48

Pyntux

pseudonomous wrote:

Just use the normal install iso, boot the vm off that iso and install.

So, I need to download normal iso image for CD? Ok, I will try....

I do not speak English, but I understand...

#81 2010-04-21 13:11:49

drcouzelis
Website

flamelab wrote:

Does Haiku have a package manager or something ?

Sort of. There are a few ways to install software.

The operating system comes with the command line program "installoptionalpackage". These are binary packages and are assembled by the Haiku developers. You can see a list of packages that can be installed here: http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/hai … alPackages

Haiku Ports is a project to port the Gentoo ports tree to Haiku. I think the name of the command line program for it is "haikuport". These "ports" allow a Haiku installation to easily download, build, and install software. The home page is here: http://ports.haiku-files.org/ and you can see a list of ported software here: http://ports.haiku-files.org/svn/haikuports/trunk/ BUT, just because it is in that list doesn't mean it will install correctly. Some of the entries are just stubs. tongue

I think it's worth mentioning that Haiku (and BeOS) was designed to not need a package manager. Instead, software comes in a zip file. You can unzip it anywhere and run it from anywhere. To "uninstall" you just delete the directory. (this is similar to Mac OS X) You can find a collection of software here: http://haikuware.com/ and the WebPositive web browser here: http://mmlr.dyndns.org/chrome/site/nightlies/index.html

I have used these three methods of installing software. They are quite easy to do.

Lastly, there is the TiltOS project. It is kind of a "Haiku distribution" which aims to port as much open source software to Haiku as possible, even if it doesn't "fit in" with Haiku. For example, they have ported many (maybe most) KDE applications. I think they have their own binary package manager. I have not used it. The ideas behind TiltOS don't really seem to match with Haiku, so I am not interested in it.

Edit: By the way, the Haiku developers are still discussing what to do about an official package manager. And yes, they already know about pacman. wink

Edit: Haiku Ports is based on Gentoo ports, not FreeBSD ports.

Last edited by drcouzelis (2010-04-23 14:37:10)

#82 2010-04-25 12:39:32

jceasless

drcouzelis wrote:

The Haiku developers hope to have Alpha 2 released around this summer. http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku-dev … iscussions I have Haiku installed on my computer and update once in a while with the latest nightly builds. I don't have any experience with BeOS, just Haiku.

In regards to its progress, Stippi has been making the native webkit-based web browser "WebPositive", and many people have wireless internet connections working now.

After using Linux exclusively for so many years and then trying out Haiku, I realized just how patched together Linux is. Using an OS where the kernel and the GUI and the API are all made by the same people AND is free and open source software is nice.

EDIT: I took notes as I downloaded the nightly source, prepared, and compiled my own Haiku installation CD in Arch Linux. It's convenient because I find it MUCH faster than downloading the entire nightly CD image every time, plus I can choose which software gets put into the image. (such as a web browser) I plan on posting it to the Haiku website but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Looking forward to seeing these notes smile

#83 2010-04-25 17:53:28

drcouzelis
Website

jceasless wrote:

Looking forward to seeing these notes

They are already online in the Arch wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haiku

Recently, I've learned how to install the latest Haiku updates directly from Linux to my Haiku BeFS drive, instead of burning an image to an installation CD first.

In other news, Haiku R1 Alpha 2 is scheduled for May 10: http://www.osnews.com/comments/23203 There's not much reason to wait for it, though. The release will not be much different than the regular nightly releases.

(posting this from WebPositive wink)

#84 2010-04-26 15:30:21

drcouzelis
Website

If anyone had read my blog entry (hah, yeah right) about Haiku software, I want to point out that I made a mistake about which software is being ported to Haiku. Apparently, as much software as possible is being ported. I deleted that part in my blog that was incorrect.

Here is the end of a thread in the Haiku Ports developer mailing list on the subject: http://lists.ports.haiku-files.org/pipe … 00930.html (I was the one that started that thread)

In summary, there seems to be two projects for porting software to Haiku, which have different goals: TiltOS aims to get as much open source software as possibly to run on Haiku, create binary packages for them, and provide a Linux-like package manager to easily install them. The other project is Haiku Ports, which provides a Gentoo ports-like program to download, patch, compile, and install software, with the hope that the patches will eventually be pushed upstream.

Meanwhile, the Haiku developers are still working on an official way to install software.

#85 2010-05-06 10:10:36

jceasless

This thread is inspiring me to check if the newest nightly will run natively on my EEE 900. Alpha 1 would not boot, unfortunately.

I'll report back with some findings.

#86 2010-05-06 11:23:17

drcouzelis
Website

According to the mailing list, I think the EEE 900 is supported pretty well, including wireless Internet.

The benefits I see of Haiku on a netbook are really really fast boot time and very fast performance. Haiku feels very "light". Also, I really like the WebPositive web browser.

#87 2010-05-06 12:00:33

sand_man

I just thought of something. If Palm bought BeOS and HP bought Palm, could HP potentially be a corporate ass and shut down Haiku development?

neutral

#88 2010-05-06 13:19:19

pogeymanz

sand_man wrote:

I just thought of something. If Palm bought BeOS and HP bought Palm, could HP potentially be a corporate ass and shut down Haiku development?

Probably not unless the Haiku source code looks too much like BeOS's, which would be unlikely. It is well documented that Haiku is a few guys trying to make a operating system binary compatible with BeOS. No laws against that, as far as I know.

#89 2010-05-06 13:37:05

Hide

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're just making a clone of BeOS. Nothing wrong with that. Even if they had some codebase belonging to BeOS, question is whether it'd be illegal.

Just my opinion smile

#90 2010-05-06 14:03:09

drcouzelis
Website

sand_man wrote:

According to Thom Holwerda of OSNews (whom I consider to be very knowledgeable on this topic) Palm / HP do not own anything related to BeOS: http://www.osnews.com/permalink?421302 According to the Wikipedia, Access has owned the rights to BeOS, which they bought from PalmSource, since 2005: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_Co.

#91 2010-05-10 15:04:40

SpeedVin

I wanted to ask what Haiku will be?
I know it will be BeOS binary compatible and it will be desktop OS and Haiku aims to become a fast, efficient, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful system for computer users of all levels.
I know that Haiku have a database-like file system.
But what about other targets,  it aims to repleace Linux or other OS on Desktop, what it has over Linux?

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#92 2010-05-10 15:46:25

Meyithi
Website

SpeedVin wrote:

I wanted to ask what Haiku will be?
I know it will be BeOS binary compatible and it will be desktop OS and Haiku aims to become a fast, efficient, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful system for computer users of all levels.
I know that Haiku have a database-like file system.
But what about other targets,  it aims to repleace Linux or other OS on Desktop, what it has over Linux?

It's just the philosophy.  Haiku claims that Linux, having to serve many purposes is not as focussed as an OS that only has to serve the desktop, and thus is less efficient.

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#93 2010-05-16 10:43:36

ancient_archer

Hey, drcouzells!

I really wish you all the best in working on Haiku. Once it's done and full of application, I think it would be a great OS!

I just have 2 questions:

1) How is it with the security? I understand and like very much the philospohy of Haiku which aims to be a simple functional OS. But if I understood it correctly, for the program to install you would just unzip the program and copy it somewhere (I forgot where exactly). But suppose that there would be a virus/malware etc. Would it be theoretically possible for it to harm the OS somehow? Thank you.

2) The second question: When I tried to play an mp3, the speed was very fast, abnormal. My sound controller is Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 12). do you have an idea why it is like that and how to fix it?

I noticed that there is an Apha2. Hope to find the time to try it smile

Thanks.

#94 2010-05-16 12:18:50

drcouzelis
Website

ancient_archer wrote:

I really wish you all the best in working on Haiku. Once it's done and full of application, I think it would be a great OS!

Thanks. I am having fun "working on" Haiku, but I'm not a Haiku developer. I'm sorry if I was misleading. I'm just a software engineer and Arch Linux user that really enjoys using Haiku. smile

How is it with the security? I understand and like very much the philospohy of Haiku which aims to be a simple functional OS. But if I understood it correctly, for the program to install you would just unzip the program and copy it somewhere (I forgot where exactly). But suppose that there would be a virus/malware etc. Would it be theoretically possible for it to harm the OS somehow?

I don't know much about how security is implemented in Haiku. From what I understand, Haiku is based on BeOS (of course tongue) and BeOS pretty much did not have any sort of security built in to it. It was designed simply to be a simple single-user desktop OS.

In Haiku, the developers have added experimental multi-user support. As for right now, I don't think there's anything stopping anyone from breaking a Haiku installation, including yourself. Even so, there is a neat feature in the file manager that will stop you before you delete something that is important.

I think it's also interesting to point at that, most Haiku applications are designed so you can unzip them anywhere and just start running them. Most of the time there is no need to "install".

When I tried to play an mp3, the speed was very fast, abnormal. My sound controller is Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 12). do you have an idea why it is like that and how to fix it?

I think they added OSS support, so you may be able to get it working by using that. I think OSS is available as an optional package.

I would recommend posting a bug ticket to http://dev.haiku-os.org/. In my experience, the Haiku developers looked at and responded to the tickets I made the same day I created them. yikes

#95 2010-11-30 21:51:47

drcouzelis
Website

Since the people who read this thread are, like me, interested in Haiku... big_smile

The Haiku developers are preparing for the R1 (Final) release of Haiku. In order to determine what features need to be implemented before doing so, there is a poll here: http://haiku-os.org/r1-final-features-poll You can vote for what would need to be included for you to consider installing Haiku on a partition next to your installation of Arch Linux.

#96 2010-12-01 00:32:27

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

It's nice to see them making progress and I hope it takes off.

#97 2010-12-01 01:18:02

Hide

I got very excited seeing a mention of the R1. I don't expect it to be fully usable (surprise me, Haiku devs), but it'll prove how powerful an OSS project can be.

Awesome work so far and I hope for the best possible future for this gem.

#98 2010-12-07 13:06:31

Mr. Alex

If I'm not mistaken, BeOS was supposed to be an ideal OS. And people who tried it out when it was alive told that it was close to ideal OS. Right?

#99 2010-12-07 13:37:18

drcouzelis
Website

Mr. Alex wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, BeOS was supposed to be an ideal OS. And people who tried it out when it was alive told that it was close to ideal OS. Right?

It was ideal in many ways, but I think it's important to remember that it was designed to be a really good desktop OS. I think, for example, it would be a crummy server OS.

In my experience, I haven't met anyone who has used BeOS and didn't like it.

Also, the Haiku developers have started addressing some of the shortcomings of BeOS, by:

. Adding multi-user support
. Adding better network support
. Adding "sizers" to the GUI, so user interfaces will look correct even after changing the size of a window

The Haiku developers have also started adding new features to improve on BeOS, such as:

. Native tabbed window support
. Creating a native package manager

(By the way, I don't have any experience with BeOS, only Haiku)

#100 2010-12-07 13:53:04

flamelab

Ι would really like a package management system in Haiku, the current one is really in it's early infancy... hmm

Board footer