You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-16 23:39:08

thehumanproject

Having a lot of problems/Questions. . .

Just installed Arch for the first time, big_smile Im not new to Linux though. So here are the problems i'm having along with some questions:

- How do you install apt-get?
- How do you install the command rpm?
- Every time I try to bring up nvidia-settings, it says

nvidia-settings: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

- Also, when i try Pacman -Syy it says

:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from mirror.archlinux.com.ve : No address record
 core                      36.2K  477.9K/s 00:00:00 [#####################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db.tar.gz' from mirror.archlinux.com.ve : No address record
 extra                    450.3K 1393.5K/s 00:00:00 [#####################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db.tar.gz' from mirror.archlinux.com.ve : No address record
 community                373.1K  583.3K/s 00:00:01 [#####################] 100%

-Usuall when i try to install something it gives me the error "No address record" but installs anyways.

Could you possibly answer some of these questions/problems? Thanks in advance smile

Last edited by thehumanproject (2010-05-16 23:42:18)

#2 2010-05-16 23:48:02

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Having a lot of problems/Questions. . .

Please take a good read of the beginners guide which has answers to your questions and includes some requirements you haven't met as yet.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2010-05-16 23:48:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

thehumanproject wrote:

You don't, you use pacman.

thehumanproject wrote:

thehumanproject wrote:

nvidia-settings: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Update your system.

thehumanproject wrote:

-Usuall when i try to install something it gives me the error "No address record" but installs anyways.

You have not selected suitable mirrors for pacman to use.

It seems you haven't read any documentation - start with this.

#4 2010-05-16 23:53:46

thehumanproject

tomk wrote:
thehumanproject wrote:

thehumanproject wrote:

thehumanproject wrote:

Update your system.

thehumanproject wrote:

You have not selected suitable mirrors for pacman to use.

It seems you haven't read any documentation - start with this.

How do would I choose suitable mirrors for pacman? Do I have use rankmirrors? And I did read the beginners guide, it was what I used to set up my system in the first place.

#5 2010-05-17 00:25:00

bremarv

The part of the beginners guide covering seting up pacman also covers choosing mirrors and using rankmirrors. Take a look at step 3.2.3

"As a former philosophy major, it disturbs me to think that things disappear when no one is looking at them, but that's exactly what happens in Python" - Mark Pilgrim

#6 2010-05-17 00:39:32

thehumanproject

Okay, I just read did the whole rankmirros process and I am still getting the same error message when using

Pacman -Syy

#7 2010-05-17 01:08:42

tom5760
Website

Your mirrors are stored in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.   Simply move your preferred mirror to the top of the list.  If whichever is at the top isn't working, try another one.  You can use the Mirror Status page to see which mirrors should be working.

Good luck!

Board footer