You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-14 19:26:34

Godofgrunts

Adding drivers and auto-dection to a live CD

Breif overview of what I'm doing.

I'm one of the project leads of a small niche distro called OCNix. ocnix.sourceforge.com. It's based off of arch and we're using archiso to build it.

Anyway, the idea is that the users will be able to boot into the live CD and stress-test/benchmark their computers (saving the time of installing a full OS).

Okay now the question. We're looking to include drivers (wireless, graphic drivers, etc), but I'm worried about how auto-detection of the hardware will work with having a lot of drivers in arch. Is there any example on how to do this or is Linux just so awesome that it will work for me?

To give an example of how I want it to work, Ubuntu 10.04 does it quite well. If some how auto detects your video card/wireless and uses those drivers automatically.

#2 2010-05-17 04:42:47

Odysseus

Re: Adding drivers and auto-dection to a live CD

Linux pretty much does every thing for you, as long as the right modules are built and included.
What exactly does Ubuntu do differently in arch?  I've never had to manually load a hardware driver module.

I'm the type to fling myself headlong through the magical wardrobe, and then incinerate the ornate mahogany portal behind me with a Molotov cocktail.

Board footer