LUKS -> LVM2, 64bit install from dual image went fine here btw

#52 2010-05-15 15:31:32

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: New testing builds

Dieter@be wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:
hatten wrote:

It worked for me, although I were dissapointed when there was no btrfs alternative. I had to fix that with chroot manually afterwards, which was a huge pain in the ass. There weren't any ways to use an already existing btrfs either.
netinstall,32-bit,dhcp,manual partitioning,interactive,ntp

What do you mean by 'btrfs alternative' ?
Do you mean btrfs option?

btrfs will still be in testing for quite a while. maybe i could incorporate support into aif and make it available if you do `aif --expert` or something. patches welcome cool

Sorry for not answering for a while.
I wanted to try installing btrfs as root on a new install, and it was a pain. After trying back and forth I realized that neither I or the folks at #archlinux or #btrfs were able to do it, so I had to go with installing as ext4, and then converting to btrfs. I couldn't install packages without having mountpoints, and I couldn't have mountpoints without selecting from a list which filesystem I had. I don't know how hard it would be with "I'll fix it myself, stop spitting errors at me" or being able to choose btrfs, or writing a custom mount command for the mountpoints part. Setting up the partitions itself with mkfs and stuff can easily be done outside of the installer.

#53 2010-05-15 15:57:35

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

hatten wrote:

Sorry for not answering for a while.
I wanted to try installing btrfs as root on a new install, and it was a pain. After trying back and forth I realized that neither I or the folks at #archlinux or #btrfs were able to do it, so I had to go with installing as ext4, and then converting to btrfs. I couldn't install packages without having mountpoints, and I couldn't have mountpoints without selecting from a list which filesystem I had. I don't know how hard it would be with "I'll fix it myself, stop spitting errors at me" or being able to choose btrfs, or writing a custom mount command for the mountpoints part. Setting up the partitions itself with mkfs and stuff can easily be done outside of the installer.

i see. well, btrfs support is being discussed in another thread on this forum and on arch-general, so it will come sooner or later.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#54 2010-05-16 04:28:42

Anonymo
Website

I tried the installs twice
Once with 32, other 64 on the dual CD

Everything installs, when I reboot, when it's loading NETWORK, it says:
SIOCSIFFLAGS No such file or directory

Futhermore, ifconfig wlan0 says wlan0 does not exist

Noticed that even though I selected net install on beginning, it only downloaded the files that were out of date on the CD, guessing this is a feature to save bandwidth

Anyways, went back to official CD, both 32 and 64 install fine, from August and everything installs fine, except my wireless card isn't recognized on the .30 kernel and I had to move my PC next to my router and connect on the NIC  sad

#55 2010-05-16 08:28:44

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Anonymo wrote:

Noticed that even though I selected net install on beginning, it only downloaded the files that were out of date on the CD, guessing this is a feature to save bandwidth

Anyways, went back to official CD, both 32 and 64 install fine, from August and everything installs fine, except my wireless card isn't recognized on the .30 kernel and I had to move my PC next to my router and connect on the NIC  sad

you do know this report is useless right? have you seen how many "dual CD's" there are ?
however this doesn't really seem like an install image. as your network worked on the install image, but didn't when you boot the actual system. I don't think I can help that..

4 8 15 16 23 42

#56 2010-05-16 10:50:42

Surgat_

That SIOCSIFFLAGS error usually appears when the wifi card needs a firmware that isn't present on the system. At least it is like that with my Ralink RT73 card, and is solved when I install the package rt2x00-rt71w-fw from [core].

#57 2010-05-16 15:35:28

Anonymo
Website

Dieter@be wrote:
Anonymo wrote:

you do know this report is useless right? have you seen how many "dual CD's" there are ?
however this doesn't really seem like an install image. as your network worked on the install image, but didn't when you boot the actual system. I don't think I can help that..

Lastest 5.13 builds. 

Surgat, I'll take a look at that.

Last edited by Anonymo (2010-05-16 15:36:46)

#58 2010-05-16 15:41:35

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Anonymo wrote:

you can also try the 2010.05.16 builds, these come with a fix for incorrect initialisation of wireless cards.

4 8 15 16 23 42

#59 2010-05-16 23:07:38

Ronis_BR

Hi all,

I tried to install archlinux from 2010.05.16 build and I got a kernel problem during boot. Something related to PREEMPT_SMP and KMS. It occurs just after KMS is loaded.

My video card is a Radeon HD 3200 (R700).

When I append radeon.modeset=0 to grub, the problem is gone and I can successfully boot the CD.

#60 2010-05-17 00:51:18

Anonymo
Website

Dieter@be wrote:
Anonymo wrote:

you can also try the 2010.05.16 builds, these come with a fix for incorrect initialisation of wireless cards.

Thanks Dieter, appreciate your help.
I'll keep this in mind for my other machine with No OS.

#61 2010-05-17 20:27:12

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Ronis_BR wrote:

Hi all,

I tried to install archlinux from 2010.05.16 build and I got a kernel problem during boot. Something related to PREEMPT_SMP and KMS. It occurs just after KMS is loaded.

My video card is a Radeon HD 3200 (R700).

When I append radeon.modeset=0 to grub, the problem is gone and I can successfully boot the CD.

wow. thanks for registering to report this, hope you enjoy your stay at arch linux.
would you mind reporting the bug at http://bugs.archlinux.org/ ?
this topic can be closed, as the official release is now out. (http://www.archlinux.org/news/500/)

4 8 15 16 23 42

#62 2010-05-17 21:36:25

tomk
Forum Fellow

Closed as requested.

Board footer