You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-12 19:16:51

thesame

Sunbird is broken

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=6113
What the heck is going on? Now Arch Linux has no working Sunbird neither in [community] nor in AUR.
Why beta version of new branch is good enough reason to remove package?

#2 2010-05-12 22:31:21

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Sunbird is broken

Sunbird is a dead project.  There is no more releases, bug fixes, etc.  That beta version is the last official "release".  Given that, I was no longer willing to maintain it and dropped it from the repos.

Also, that PKGBUILD should work. It worked only a couple of months ago when the libpng rebuild was done.  If the upstream tarball has been changed without changing the version number (it does happen, but I doubt it...), just change the md5sum and all should work.

#3 2010-05-13 02:05:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

People still use Sunbird? All its functionality (AFAIK) has been merged into thunderbird via the lightning add-on/plugin/built-in whatchamalicit

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-05-13 07:23:33

thesame

Thank you for explanation

#5 2010-05-13 08:59:17

KimTjik

Merging with Thunderbird was smart, but plain stupid that it's not available for 64bit.

Secondly why should you need to use Thunderbird when it worked well stand alone? I'm disappointed.

#6 2010-05-13 09:28:20

Allan
Pacman
Website

The developers never intended to drop the standalone sunbird but there became a point where no-one was maintaining it so they really had no choice.

#7 2010-05-16 21:21:50

jamesbond007

ngoonee wrote:

People still use Sunbird?

Yes, they do! (At least me.)

ngoonee wrote:

All its functionality (AFAIK) has been merged into thunderbird via the lightning add-on/plugin/built-in whatchamalicit

Until now, I thought that the functionality of Sunbird and the Lightning extension for Thunderbird is the same.

--> Two questions:

1) Is the functionality still the same?

2) What do you use: Lightning, the Google Calendar or what else?

#8 2010-05-16 23:21:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I used Lightning back when it was 0.8, with the GCalendar Provider. I'm now using Evolution, better all-round client for me (bloated though, but its not like Thunderbird is very light itself).

I can't definitively say that its the same, but I doubt there's any big differences. Calendaring isn't too complicated, anyway. I still prefer the way its handled in Evolution, Lightning is an add-on rather than integrated, and it does show sometimes.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2010-05-17 00:13:53

Allan
Pacman
Website

ngoonee wrote:

I can't definitively say that its the same, but I doubt there's any big differences. Calendaring isn't too complicated, anyway. I still prefer the way its handled in Evolution, Lightning is an add-on rather than integrated, and it does show sometimes.

Not so much with lightning 1.0b1.   Things seem very integrated to me now.

#10 2010-05-17 01:35:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Allan wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Not so much with lightning 1.0b1.   Things seem very integrated to me now.

Really? Perhaps I'll have to take another look. I like the look of their new threading scheme (almost as good as gmail's), but unfortunately it requires that I use their IMAP instead of my own (I use offlineimap). Hate having humongous mbox files around....

#11 2010-05-18 22:08:50

KimTjik

I found a link to a 64bit version, obviously not official: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/calendar/ligh … ux-x86_64/

Board footer