You are not logged in.

#51 2010-04-13 13:02:50

lynix

Re: [SOLVED] pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8

I don't understand how to solve this libssl-issue:

- did a full update using -Syu on my mirror (ftp.hosteurope.de)
--> system broken with missing libssl-stuff
- switched mirror to an up-to-date one from the mirror-check page (unixheads.org)
--> no updates, still broken
- reinstalled openssl package from the new mirror --> still broken
- switched to the throttled humble arch main server, did -Syy
- still no updates, still broken

Can someone tell me how to fix it? smile

#52 2010-04-13 16:23:26

tomk
Forum Fellow

"system broken with missing libssl-stuff" is absolutely useless to anyone who might be thinking of helping you. What command(s) gives you libssl or libcrypto error responses?

#53 2010-04-13 16:48:53

lynix

I', getting the message in the title of this thread: "error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8", thought that would be obvious wink
And I get them for example by calling the wpa_supplicant binary.

Shown via ldd:

$ ldd $(which wpa_supplicant)
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb77c2000)
        libnl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnl.so.1 (0xb776a000)
        libssl.so.1.0.0 => not found
        libcrypto.so.1.0.0 => not found
        libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0xb7564000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb754a000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7403000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb73dd000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb73d9000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb73c4000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb73ba000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb77c3000)

#54 2010-04-13 18:37:53

tomk
Forum Fellow

Your ldd output says wpa_supplicant can't find libssl.so.1.0.0 - the error in the thread title is caused by applications that can't find libssl.so.0.9.8. These are two different situations.

This thread deals with errors caused by upgrading openssl to 1.0.0 without also upgrading the packages that depend on it. Your error is caused by upgrading wpa_supplicant to the version that depends on openssl 1.0.0 without also upgrading openssl.

Please check your installed openssl package version - it should be 1.0.0-2.

#55 2010-04-13 18:44:52

wonder
Developer
Website

@lynix pacman -Syu

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#56 2010-04-14 08:43:09

lynix

tomk wrote:

Your ldd output says wpa_supplicant can't find libssl.so.1.0.0 - the error in the thread title is caused by applications that can't find libssl.so.0.9.8. These are two different situations.

You're right, the versions differ. I forgot to mention that I indeed had the error complaining about the missing 0.9.8, and after the first full update it switched to 1.0.0. The ldd output was taken after the update.

tomk wrote:

This thread deals with errors caused by upgrading openssl to 1.0.0 without also upgrading the packages that depend on it.

Oh it's my fault, I thought cl10k performed a full upgrade. ^^

tomk wrote:

Your error is caused by upgrading wpa_supplicant to the version that depends on openssl 1.0.0 without also upgrading openssl.

As stated in my first post, I *did* perform a full system upgrade, several times (with different mirrors). openssl-1.0.0-2 was installed when I called ldd.

Anyway, the only box I had this problem on broke down last night, so let's call it "solved" for me, too wink

#57 2010-04-14 16:16:27

dharmabm

well, unfortunately it is not solved for me. whatever went wrong it was during the kernel upgrade after running pacman -Syu (which was so many packages i went to sleep) and when i woke up i was frozen at the point of running mkinitcpio, so i was forced to do a hard reboot, and now cannot boot. at the moment i am chrooted into arch from the boot disk, and have tried downgrading the kernel, openssl, pacman as well as reinstalling the new versions of each, but pacman will not run, only returns the error in this thread subject. i have yet to try the temporary symlinks fix, but hesitate as it was recommended not to. any other suggestions?

EDIT: i checked the pacman log and found that it did indeed fail during mkinitcpio, so i reran that command and it completed successfully, so i am not booted to my arch partition, but have no x (error loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.0.9.8), and cannot figure out how to complete the rest of the upgrade without being able to run pacman.

EDIT2: ok, first of all i'm sorry for posting before exhausting my own cranial resources, but maybe this will be of some help to someone else. i re-read the whole thread more carefully, and followed pierre's advice, temporarily created the symlinks, and was able to complete the upgrade. i am now back up and fully functional (so far, i think), and my only question left is if the symlinks are resolved themselves or if i need to remove them manually. i will probably figure that out also, before anyone responds, but if anyone is bored and wants to enlighten me... ;>}

Last edited by dharmabm (2010-04-14 16:51:46)

#58 2010-04-19 07:00:13

thisllub

This fix worked for me.
(I inadvertently put a y into a Pacman -S)

[root@..... ~]# mkdir ~/tmp
[root@.....~]# cd ~/tmp
[root@.....tmp]# tar -zxf /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openssl-0.9.8l-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
[root@..... tmp]#  cp -r tmp/usr /
[root@ob-postfix tmp]# pacman -Syu

#59 2010-04-19 14:27:04

nigelg

Hi
I can also confirm this, just did a clean install from the current img file. Ran pacman -Syu after setting the mirror site etc.

The first thing it does is to upgrade pacman and associated libs which includes ssl. You are then recommended to rerun pacman, this bombs if using anything that relies on the older ssl libs, eg the currently installed wget.

Surely wget should be a pacman dependency to avoid this as those of us behind a proxy rely on it.

regards
nigelg

#60 2010-04-19 15:14:59

tomk
Forum Fellow

If you think so, post a bug report. There is no guarantee the devs will see this thread.

My €0.02 - default pacman works as designed without wget. pacman can optionally use wget, curl, or various other download agents to facilitate various network configurations and/or user requirements, but that does not make them dependencies.

#61 2010-04-24 14:20:28

Leigh

Pierre wrote:

If you cannot or don't want to run a full update when you install new packages or want to update some you shouldn't use Arch. (or you really know what you are doing)

Well im one of those who selectively update. I cannot just do a syu. This was a show stopper for me for a few days. I decided not to sym link. I just downloaded the older openssl, and mixed libs (not a good idea), but had to choose the lesser of many evils.

Of course if we stray from the beatin path that arch supports, we can't expect any sympathy from devs and maintainers when things break.  Six years of using Arch and I still don't know what im doing much of the time. Despite whether I should or shouldn't be using arch, I do know this.. If you want to do it your way in the linux world .. Arch is still at top of my list.

Thanks all.. this thread helped me decide how to get through this premature (my opinion only) update.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#62 2010-05-19 00:04:07

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Great thread.  Just happened to my i686 system.  I googled to find the following blog:
http://www.go2linux.org/linux/2010/05/p … red-object-

THen I found this thread.  Thanks!

I run into this problem because I upgraded openssl

After looking at the forums I found the solution. So I will learn from now on, that it is not a good idea to upgrade only some package in Linux.

Arch pacman should take better care about things like this, as they can break the system.

So let's see how to fix it.

sudo pacman -Sy openssl

Alone, so to have pacman working again, run:

cd /usr/lib

And then, make symbolic links

sudo ln -s libssl.so.1.0.0 libssl.so.0.9.8

And another one.

sudo ln -s libcrypto.so.1.0.0 libcrypto.so.0.9.8

Now install the previous version of openssl.

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openssl-0.9.8l-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

And upgrade the whole system.

sudo pacman -Syu

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#63 2010-05-19 05:55:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

graysky - yeah, nothing new there, it's been covered all over the place. Can't let this go though:

random blogger wrote:

Arch pacman should take better care about things like this, as they can break the system.

The user should take better care of their system, and not do partial upgrades - pacman is just a tool.

#64 2010-05-19 06:44:33

sand_man

tomk wrote:

graysky - yeah, nothing new there, it's been covered all over the place. Can't let this go though:

random blogger wrote:

The user should take better care of their system, and not do partial upgrades - pacman is just a tool.

I hit my thumb with a hammer once. They should really make safer hammers...

neutral

#65 2010-05-19 14:37:03

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Somewhat relevant bug report.

The close message more or less sums up my opinion on this "issue".

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2010-05-19 14:37:36)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#66 2017-04-25 21:53:37

tmow

Seven years later... The same problem.

I've updated just the openssl package breaking almost everything (included pacman obviously) but as I didn't have the old openssl libraries on the system, I had to manually install openssl.

To do it, in the case anybody else would need a quick tip, I've manually downloaded the openssl-1 package and exploded in the root file system.

Hope it helps

#67 2017-04-25 22:04:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Don't necrobump, there are enough open threads about this already.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … bumping.22

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer