You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-19 18:43:25

beem0r

[Solved] Ethernet broken on Aspire One 532h

I was attempting to install Arch [from an external CD drive, the netinstall version].

I'd never used WiFi to do the install, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I selected the net install, and for the interface, I was given the choice between eth0 and wlan0. I selected wlan0. I thought maybe it would ask me what access point to connect to, but it didn't, and DHCP didn't work. I'm sure I could have just manually told it which access point to use, but I had had an easier idea.

This time, I selected eth0. At this point, I realized I wasn't plugged into ethernet, and I plugged it in. I started doing the DHCP, and for a reason I can't recall that's likely completely irrelevant to the story, I had to turn the computer off shortly thereafter. I don't think it connected anyway, likely because I plugged the cable in while it was trying to connect via DHCP. I don't even know if I let it finish trying to connect.

Anyway, I restarted the process a few minutes later. I plugged in the Ethernet beforehand this time, and lo and behold, eth0 was not on the list of interfaces. I was slightly perplexed, but I thought maybe this was just an odd glitch.

I decided to boot into Windows 7. On the device manager, my ethernet adapter was no longer listed.
I also had another Linux installed that I know had seen my ethernet previously [ubuntu moblin remix, had installed it the previous day to check out the moblin interface]. Anyway, I booted it up, and it did not see my ethernet. I also did not see eth0 in /dev/ and I did not even see my ethernet card in the output of lspci.

Long story short, it seems like my wired internet is just completely broken now - it doesn't show in any of my operating systems. However, the green light is always on, and the orange light comes on sometimes when I plug in a cable. Could what I did during the installation have caused this problem?

This isn't a huge problem, except that I can't burn DVD's [have to use netinstall] and the only wireless access point where I live is WPA, and I don't think the CD comes with any software for connecting to WPA access points. Is there an easier solution, or should I just get my brother to temporarily take off WPA some time when he's around?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Last edited by beem0r (2010-05-20 09:21:41)

We all wear masks, whether on our faces or over our hearts.

#2 2010-05-19 19:42:41

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: [Solved] Ethernet broken on Aspire One 532h

i don't know if this applies to your case at all, but a few people here talked about their ethernet disappearing, and having to take the battery off and put it back on for it to work again.  Again, it's for a different netbook, but it's worth a shot.

#3 2010-05-20 09:21:04

beem0r

Re: [Solved] Ethernet broken on Aspire One 532h

evr wrote:

i don't know if this applies to your case at all, but a few people here talked about their ethernet disappearing, and having to take the battery off and put it back on for it to work again.  Again, it's for a different netbook, but it's worth a shot.

Indeedy do. Seems to have worked - green light is not constantly on anymore and the interface is showing up in Windows again. Presumably in Linux as well, haven't checked yet. Thanks kindly.

We all wear masks, whether on our faces or over our hearts.

Board footer