You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-20 15:02:34

Mr. X

grub2 installation problem (embedding area is unusually small...)

I just tried to install grub2 following the [wiki=Grub2]wiki page[/wiki], but in the installation process I get the following error:

[root@cloud ~]# grub-install /dev/sda --no-floppy
/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small.  core.img won't fit in it..
/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged..
/sbin/grub-setup: error: if you really want blocklists, use --force.

I am not sure what should I do to fix it?

My /boot and root directories are on the same partition, so there is plenty of space for grub images and everything, I guess that shouldn't be the problem...

#2 2010-05-20 16:42:52

scio

Re: grub2 installation problem (embedding area is unusually small...)

The embedding is not related to the size of your partitions, but the location of them on the disk.  If you want to embed grub2, you need to move your partitions further into your disk.  Or you need to create a grub boot partition.  See this post for more info: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 60#p581760 (this is when I learned how to do it smile)

For example, use parted to resize /dev/sda1 and make the start of the partition be a few blocks (~128kB to be safe) from the start of the disk.

Board footer