You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-20 22:36:03

demian

triggering some acpi events causes system delays

Hi,

i recently started using my laptop again with arch linux and I noticed that triggering acpi actions causes the system to become less responsive for a few seconds.
For instance, if i raise the brightness via the firmware controlled hotkey fn + pos1 a few levels, for a few seconds my mouse would skip frames and applications would take longer to launch.
The same goes for a special key on my laptops keyboard (ThinkVantage button, the laptop's a thinkpad). I use acpid to map the thinkvantage key to toggle mute.
When i press it once I'd get the same behaviour as described above for a second. If i press it repeatedly the duration of the delays would increase.

I noticed that whenever i had these lags there would appear a lot of log messages (as described here).
I thought it was just the write accesses to the disk (i use an ssd not a hard drive) but the delays appear without loggin, too.

If you have any suggestions or if this is a know issue, I'd be glad for some hints. I'll definately try a new kernel tomorrow as I'm currently using a custom compiled one (not the newest either).

Regards,
demian

P.S.: The laptop is a ThinkPad X200s (GM45, ICH9). I'm using thinkpad-acpi with fan-control enabled so I'l look into that tomorrow too but I'm afraid the problem goes deeper.

Last edited by demian (2010-05-21 10:46:59)

no place like /home
github

#2 2010-05-21 10:03:19

eazy
Website

Re: triggering some acpi events causes system delays

The error is different but the symptoms are similar, take a look at this: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14733

I cannot use a kernel > 2.6.31 without the latest patch on that bug report (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=25261) without having that annoying stutter (yes, and cannot turn on the computer afterwards neutral )

I don't know what the Kernel team is waiting for to fix this..

no masters to rule us, no gods to fool us

#3 2010-05-21 10:45:20

demian

Re: triggering some acpi events causes system delays

sorry, though it was solved, but it isn't.

However, I've noticed that during the lags X server uses ~80% of my cpu:
160c3n9.jpg
Maybe i should take this to xorgs bugtracker.

Last edited by demian (2010-05-21 10:55:46)

no place like /home
github

Board footer