You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-19 13:54:41

thydian

DWM and Lotus Notes (Wine)

Thought I'd give DWM (community) a spin (from awesomewm) and I'm liking it so far.

All works well except for one thing: for work I use Lotus Notes 6.5 (in wine). Notes launches fine (say in tag 9) and all is good with viewing/creating emails until I switch to another tag (say 1). When I come back to tag 9 the Lotus Notes UI is gone! The process is still running but the window is gone.

Has anyone experienced this particular behavior or something similar in dwm. Any known workarounds?

#2 2010-05-20 00:47:21

firecat53
Website

Re: DWM and Lotus Notes (Wine)

I don't use notes in Wine, but I use Notes through the Citrix client and I have noticed that some of the Citrix apps will disappear when you switch tags. I've found that if I go to that tag and hit Alt-space, it will bring up the 'window' menu like all Windows windows have, then you can scroll down to or click on 'restore' to maximize it again.

Not sure if it's the same issue, but worth a try smile

Scott

#3 2010-05-21 13:42:20

thydian

Re: DWM and Lotus Notes (Wine)

thanks for your thoughts. i don't seem to get the same behavior in wine following your approach (alt-space). My layout changes but Notes never comes back and no menu becomes visible to minimize/maximize.

kind of an ugly workaround seems to be to go into wine configuration (winecfg) and disable "allow the window manager to decorate the windows" and "allow the window manager to control the windows".

This provides the typical Windows minimize/maximize borders around notes. Since dwm no longer controls the window it is either visible on all tags or i can minimize on all tags. When minimized, I get this ugly Desktop shortcut-line icon on the bottom-left that peeks through my terminals in tiling layout. A little less visible in floating layout but still there. But the main point is notes at least remains accessible, i can click the icon to maximize again and notes doesn't "disappear".

Wish there was a way to resolve this while still allowing for dwm control....but as a workaround I have an initial (ugly) solution.

Board footer