You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-18 13:14:33

srih4ri

[SOLVED] Pair a bluetooth phone from basic installation of arch.

I installed archlinux a day ago.The only means to connect to internet is via a phone modem using bluetooth.
For this purpose i installed bluez and wvdial using the offline installation method of packages.

Now the problem part:

I dial using wvdial.The computer tries to connect with my phone,
In order to dial up a connection my phone needs my computer to be paired with it.
When wvdial tries to dial i am prompted for pairing from my phone,i enter a passcode.But there is no way to enter the passcode from computer.

I read that the solution is to try using bluez-simple-agent i tried it,but it needs python be installed in the system.(It shows a bad interpreter message)

SO how can i pair my computer and phone from the terminal only.?

Sorry for not including any error message as i am in another computer now.

Last edited by srih4ri (2010-05-21 21:59:02)

#2 2010-05-20 02:56:47

Zack89

Re: [SOLVED] Pair a bluetooth phone from basic installation of arch.

It seems to me your issue would be as simple as installing python! Just install python and run the script. Also, make sure its the "right" version of python. If its a python 2.x script, it prolly wont work on python 3.x and vice versa because of differences in syntax.

Registered User number: 496613. Show your Tux Pride!
http://counter.li.org

#3 2010-05-21 11:15:10

srih4ri

The computer is not connected to internet ,so initially i wanted to avoid package installation.Finding no other way i installed python.

But python now reports gobject is missing.Came to know that gobject is from gtk ( /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gobject/__init__.py ). Which means i must have gtk(which means gnome (which first needs X))) not sure but that would need a lot of downloads right?

Is there some other way of doing the pairing?

What is the backend of this bluez's pairing utility?

#4 2010-05-21 12:01:07

srih4ri

The wiki says pygobject and dbus-python are required.
So i there is no other way out than to get more packages neutral

To pair with a device without using the gnome-bluez package you will need to use a tool named bluez-simple-agent that comes with the bluez package. You need a few python related packages from the regular repositories to get this to run: dbus-python and pygobject. If you have everything ready you can start the script from the root user:

$> bluez-simple-agent

-- http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Pairing
sad

Any other ways would be of great help.

#5 2010-05-21 13:19:34

TheSaint

Python is needed and it's a dependency of bluez, but no gtk2.0 or else. bluez-simple-agent is tool, which is included in the package bluez.
You should search your PC for pairing, then launching bluez-simple-agent you'll be asked the code for the pairing. On a second shell you should be ready to run wvdial, afterward.
Make sure you have ran the /etc/rc.d/bluetooth restart and /dev/rfcomm0 listed.

F

Last edited by TheSaint (2010-05-21 13:27:15)

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#6 2010-05-21 21:56:16

srih4ri

TheSaint wrote:

Python is needed and it's a dependency of bluez, but no gtk2.0 or else. bluez-simple-agent is tool, which is included in the package bluez.F

Thanks! i should have checked the dependencies myself before guessing them.It was an affordable download.

TheSaint wrote:

You should search your PC for pairing, then launching bluez-simple-agent you'll be asked the code for the pairing. On a second shell you should be ready to run wvdial, afterward.
Make sure you have ran the /etc/rc.d/bluetooth restart and /dev/rfcomm0 listed.

Yes this is how i was trying to do it.Installed dbus-python and pygobject,now It works smile

Board footer