You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-21 00:29:30

frigger908

The story of intimidation

Hi there. My name is james and I'm new to arch linux. I have just recently installed arch linux on virtualbox and successfully done so after many times of putting it off saying "This is not for - to many things to fuck up!" Well I did and now I'm really proud of myself (I came into some errors with Xorg configuration wise but looked up some things and bam fixed) I also installed the gnome desktop environment with the gdm login manager - and so far I am loving it. Also the pacman package manager is epic! It's really simple and intuitive - no high learning curve there. I came from Ubuntu and I am sure glad to say that I am going to make the switch (Not on my main computer that has windows; on my new netbook i'm buying.) Well sorry if my ramblings make no sense (I typed this up on the fly..) thanks for reading big_smile

EDIT: gonna post the picture of it real quick..

th_archlinux.png

Last edited by frigger908 (2010-05-21 00:32:51)

#2 2010-05-21 00:38:21

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: The story of intimidation

now the next step is to install it on real hardware and benefit tongue

btw, welcome in our community

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-05-21 00:38:42

skottish
Forum Fellow

I've got great news for you: You've just got through the most difficult part. I've got weird news for you: 98% of every breakage that happens from now on is your fault! Yay! Welcome to Tinkerland (and the forums).

#4 2010-05-21 00:43:33

frigger908

Thanks guys big_smile

#5 2010-05-21 01:53:12

futuremonkey

Yes, no longer will you end up breaking your system because you followed incorrect advice from others.  You have taken a step up, and can now take pride in breaking your system all by yourself.  smile

Your next step is to figure out how to make Arch do all the things you like about Ubuntu, and none (or at least less) of the things you don't like about it.  That's sort of the path I took, and it's lead me to all sorts of, "oh! so THAT's how it works!" moments.  I learn new things every day.

#6 2010-05-21 02:10:14

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

skottish wrote:

I've got great news for you: You've just got through the most difficult part. I've got weird news for you: 98% of every breakage that happens from now on is your fault! Yay! Welcome to Tinkerland (and the forums).

If I was allowed to use more than 400 characters, that would definitely be my next signature tongue

To OP:
Welcome to Arch!

Last edited by cesura (2010-05-21 02:10:38)

#7 2010-05-22 02:55:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

futuremonkey wrote:

Yes, no longer will you end up breaking your system because you followed incorrect advice from others.  You have taken a step up, and can now take pride in breaking your system all by yourself.  smile

Yep, now you can break it all by yourself! I do see some really bad advise in these parts though, thankfully its rare.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer