You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-21 14:41:45

ancient_archer

[SOLVED] preserving stable system

Hello guys and girls smile

If I wanted to keep the Arch stable and not to do any upgrades of crucial system components (like e.g. kernel etc.), which packages should I put into IgnorePkg list? Can you provide me with the list of ALL packages to put there in order to preserve my system stable?

By the way, I'm using Arch i686 and xf86-video-ati package...

Thank you

Last edited by ancient_archer (2010-05-22 09:43:00)

#2 2010-05-21 15:34:56

kokoko3k

Re: [SOLVED] preserving stable system

Well, everything!
Seriously, it's quite difficoult to say, I'd suggest you to start ignore very basic packages like kernel, videodriver and xorg server, next, when you'll do a full system upgrade, note what packages pacman could not update due to dependancies not met and add them.
But i warn you, your list will become (very) long over time.
Maybe it is better to do a pacman -Sc before pacman -Suy, so that your cached package directory will contains at least the previously installed 'snapshot' and, in case of instability, you can easilly go back by examining your pacman log.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#3 2010-05-21 15:39:43

wonder
Developer
Website

if you want to preserve your system stable, don't do that. do regular updates, at least two times a week. ignoring kernel,xorg and ati driver is the biggest mistake. ati support is getting better and better with each kernel/xorg/ati update. i guess you want that no?

Last edited by wonder (2010-05-21 15:40:50)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2010-05-21 16:01:30

demian

just create an image of your arch partition or your whole drive.

no place like /home
github

#5 2010-05-22 02:51:30

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Don't use Arch, in that case...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-05-22 03:15:10

jb

ngoonee wrote:

Don't use Arch, in that case...

I have to agree; rolling release distros aren't designed for those sorts of system administrative decisions.  I'd look for something that has a release schedule that's on a time-table you're comfortable with.

#7 2010-05-22 07:26:02

kishd

I have been using arch for a long time now. For the last four years I have had testing enabled and been upddating regularly. I have not yet had to re-install the system. In my opinion to preserve a stable system update frequently and read the mailing list regarding new packages.

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#8 2010-05-22 09:40:38

ancient_archer

Thanks to all for their great opinions.

I realized that ignoring some packages is not a good way to make the system stable. Therefore, I found the solution: to use kernel26-lts and for other things, to do updates as frequently as possible but at the same time to read mailing lists about packages as kishd suggested.

And, I wasn't aware of pacman -Sc option as kokoko3k suggested (thanks).

As for the incentives why I started to think about something like this was that for the last 2 weeks, I was having random X restarts and I was not aware of any keyboard combination which would deliberately do that. It was really ANNOYING making some paper for school or doing some other work when (probably) X restarted randomly! My intention was not to make the system super-stable (the main reason why I'm using Arch is rolling release and I'm willing to tolerate minor program bugs), but X restarts were really terrible.

But I realised that I could try lts kernel and till now, no crash (hope it'll stay like this).

Thanks again to everybody for their opinions.

Last edited by ancient_archer (2010-05-22 09:41:44)

Board footer