You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-19 00:35:58

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Sharing dotfiles with CVS: passwords

One of the things I have found most helpful here has been the number of people who share their dotfiles via CVS. This openness means that it is possible to learn from what others have done and redistribute that knowledge easily.

One question I have for those who do this is: how do you manage sharing those files which include passwords (apart from the obvious answer of not storing passwords in them in the first place)?

I've just uploaded my mutt/offlineimap/msmtp configs and have been struggling to find an elegant way to do this. Currently I am creating a duplicate folder, going through the files with an s/pass/***/g and them committing them - but this is not really sustainable.

Does anyone have any more practical suggestions?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#2 2010-05-22 10:33:02

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Sharing dotfiles with CVS: passwords

Two other approaches come to mind.

One is to source the username/password information from a second, untracked file (cf. the 'obvious answer' above).
The second is a bash script that would copy the files and then strip the sensitive lines before committing them (essentially automating what I do now).

Is that it? Surely, there must be other techniques?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-05-22 11:28:15

mikesd
Website

Re: Sharing dotfiles with CVS: passwords

I tend to not put passwords in config/script files if at all possible. I usually prompt for it somehow. BASH read without echo, Python's getpass module, x11-ssh-askpass, etc.

You could let Mutt prompt for a password though offlineimap and msmtp would be more difficult. I would probably use your first approach and source them from a second file.

Board footer