You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-22 19:51:31

Unia
Website

[Solved] Stable system?

After working with Fedora for 6 months or so, I'd like to try Arch.

I've already got it working on Virtualbox so I know I can manage the somewhat harder install than Fedora has, but I do have a question.

In Fedora (and Ubuntu and all those other big distro's) everything is set up for you and things 'under the hood' (programs that you don't really notice, a clipboard tool for example) are there at install. Lets say I'd install Arch w/ Gnome or KDE, will all those programs be installed too? In other words, would I have a complete dekstop system? I'm pretty sure I'd have, but I just want to be 100% sure. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Unia (2010-05-22 20:32:32)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2 2010-05-22 20:03:52

sHyLoCk

Re: [Solved] Stable system?

Unia wrote:

After working with Fedora for 6 months or so, I'd like to try Arch.

I've already got it working on Virtualbox so I know I can manage the somewhat harder install than Fedora has, but I do have a question.

In Fedora (and Ubuntu and all those other big distro's) everything is set up for you and things 'under the hood' (programs that you don't really notice, a clipboard tool for example) are there at install. Lets say I'd install Arch w/ Gnome or KDE, will all those programs be installed too? In other words, would I have a complete dekstop system? I'm pretty sure I'd have, but I just want to be 100% sure. Thanks in advance!

Hiya!
You will have everything. Some you may need to configure. In KDE Arch has split packages so that you can choose to install whatever components you want not forcing you to download and keep installed things you don't need. Same with gnome. Read the wiki of both gnome and kde whichever you choose to install before doing anything!

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2010-05-22 20:10:26

Unia
Website

Yea I already did that when I tried both of 'em in Virtualbox.

One other question tho, those files I can configure during the install (rc.conf for example) Is that really everything I've to configure in order to get the system configured? (sorry for my bad construction, but English is not my first language)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#4 2010-05-22 20:18:25

skottish
Forum Fellow

Unia wrote:

Yea I already did that when I tried both of 'em in Virtualbox.

One other question tho, those files I can configure during the install (rc.conf for example) Is that really everything I've to configure in order to get the system configured? (sorry for my bad construction, but English is not my first language)

rc.conf is enough for a very basic install, but there will other stuff as time goes on. If you do everything through Gnome or KDE, you won't see a lot of manual configurations. If you choose to take control of your system, you'll see a lot more.

By the way, your English is fine. There's no need to worry about that here.

#5 2010-05-22 20:31:49

Unia
Website

Ok thanks:D

You guys are truly amazing, this community is definetly nice!
The only thing I'm worried about now is the partitioning, but I'll have another look at that.

Thanks!

#6 2010-05-22 20:37:08

Cr0k

Arch community is the best big_smile (And Arch is the best too)

#7 2010-05-22 21:20:24

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Unia wrote:

(sorry for my bad construction, but English is not my first language)

Your English sounds fine. Don't worry about it, as skottish said big_smile

#8 2010-05-22 22:30:26

Unia
Website

Haha, thank you guys.

Board footer