You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-10 11:59:29

z5rz

Sound menu under "System -> Preferences" missing

For some reason, my sound menu under "System -> Preferences" is now missing.   Not sure how long its been gone but it may be related to an update error yesterday I was receiving on "libftdi".  I originally excluded by

"pacman -Syu --ignore lirc-utils"

I noticed it was missing after doing that, but it could of be gone before.   I updated again this morning, and "lirc-utils" updated fine, and I thought that would of solved it but nope.....

I am fairly new so any guidance on where/how I can go to get this back in there is appreciated

Thanks in advance!!     Oh yeah - I am using gnome....

#2 2009-04-21 22:29:31

Svenstaro
Administrator

Re: Sound menu under "System -> Preferences" missing

Uh, same here. Also, I can't find the utility anywhere in the repos. Was it not contained in the new gnome package?

#3 2009-04-22 02:34:23

ssjlegendx
Website

This article from January reports the following:

The GNOME Sound Preferences/Properties have been integrated with the GNOME volume control area, which should make it easier on the end user.

Take a look at gnome-volume-control. For me, there's a tab called "Sound Theme" that allows selection of -- well -- a sound theme. tongue (The screenshots posted in the aforementioned article show more options; I suppose that that could depend on other installed packages.)

I'm not sure if that is all you're looking for, but it's a start. smile

#!/vim/rocks

#4 2009-05-18 10:48:31

quetzyg

Open a console and type: gstreamer-properties <ENTER>

It should give you what you want smile

ZzZz...

#5 2009-06-02 16:42:52

nebri

this is definitely not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to create a new system sounds themes, and usually I just go into system -> prefrences -> sounds and I can modify the sound playback for minimizing/maximizing windows/login in sounds etc etc.

Where is this menu? It's driving me nuts, and every other distrubution has this included with it.

#6 2009-06-03 00:20:44

z5rz

# gestreamer-properties opens up the multimedia systems selector menu item...   There used to be a "Sound" menu item under the "Systems -> Preferences" tabs....   Apparently they (gnome) integrated some of it into the volume control menu item..   What they left out though was the ability to assign different sounds to specific events.   If I recall, it was also more "robust" in its other abilities.   

In reading the article posted by ssjlegendx, the new program in gnome looks good, but is not in the Arch pachages....   The one I have is very limited in comparison.   Unless I am missing something.....

#7 2009-12-05 20:06:43

jeff story
Website

Anyone figure out what package we need to get the "options" shown here:
http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=gn … und_2b_lrg
from ssjlegendx's "This article" link above?

Is this just a missing package, or is it actually a bug?

Last edited by jeff story (2009-12-05 20:09:43)

Check out my website for info on the Arch Linux Installer

#8 2010-05-24 10:07:06

alexcriss

Hi everybody,

Sorry to ask on an old topic, but I am struggling to find the "options" menu posted by jess story. that menu allows easy switch between sound devices (i.e. an USB headset in my case), which is a simple task in other distros while it's beating me down on Arch.

Cheers,
Alessandro

Last edited by alexcriss (2010-05-24 10:18:01)

#9 2010-05-24 11:12:57

wonder
Developer
Website

alexcriss wrote:

Hi everybody,

Sorry to ask on an old topic, but I am struggling to find the "options" menu posted by jess story. that menu allows easy switch between sound devices (i.e. an USB headset in my case), which is a simple task in other distros while it's beating me down on Arch.

Cheers,
Alessandro

we don't support pulse audio in our gnome.

Cheers

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#10 2010-05-24 12:27:48

alexcriss

Wow,

is that a pulse audio menu, I though it was a plain gnome one. Then sorry for my question, I'll maybe try to give pulse a go, even though I am not fond of it.

thanks a lot for your time!

#11 2010-05-24 13:50:45

wonder
Developer
Website

alexcriss wrote:

Wow,

is that a pulse audio menu, I though it was a plain gnome one. Then sorry for my question, I'll maybe try to give pulse a go, even though I am not fond of it.

thanks a lot for your time!

as a side note, to achieve your goal, you need to recompile gnome-media and gnome-settings-daemon with pulse support. the list with all packages that need recompiled is in different threads so you might want to search for it.

Last edited by wonder (2010-05-24 14:35:24)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Board footer