You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-24 09:26:12

shinobi

Can't start X

Well, I have good news and bad news:

The good:I installed Arch with little-to-no problems
The bad:I can't start x

My xorg.conf file is all screwed up. Basically what I think it's telling me is that it doesn't recognize my Radeon 9800 Pro AIW

WW Radeon: No matching device...

I'm also getting:
EE: Xf86OpenSerial:Cannot Open Device /dev/mouse
EE: Mouse0:Cannot Open Input Device
No core pointer
Failed to initialize core devices
etc etc etc

SO, whenever I try to startx I get dumped right back into the shell with nothing to show for it

PLEASE somebody give me answers! I hopped back onto Ubuntu and made my way over to the #fluxbox channel. They gave me some help as far as setting my xinintrc file. Apparently, though, it doesn't matter what's in that, because x isn't working

I'm in the #xorg channel now, but it seems everybody is either sleeping or could care less that I'm there:newbie:

HELP ME! I am begging for some help! I want to use Arch but I can't make any headway banging my head against the monitor...

Sigh

#2 2005-03-24 10:09:21

FUBAR
Website

Re: Can't start X

shinobi wrote:

I'm also getting:
EE: Xf86OpenSerial:Cannot Open Device /dev/mouse
EE: Mouse0:Cannot Open Input Device

No core pointer
Failed to initialize core devices
etc etc etc

The line about your mouse device in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf isn't correct: it points to /dev/mouse but that doesn't exist.

This is what my mouse section says:

Section "InputDevice"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
Section "InputDevice"

This works for most people who've had similar problems. If you still can't start X, run "xorgcfg -textmode" in a shell and configure your X environment.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2005-03-24 10:31:12

tmadhavan

Can't say much more than that really - definitely run xorgcfg and definitely change your mouse settings.

You may also want to read up about installing radeon drivers, tho as far as I know it's not plain sailing, so maybe you want to get x up and running first.

Xinitrc is used for executing things on xorg startup (eg window manager, DE, whatever). Xorg.conf is used for changing settings for your xorg server.

T

#4 2005-03-24 13:06:17

Kern

Shinobi / mario8723

had similar problems myself, only had Arch a few weeks now and the xorg.conf was a stumble for me too.

If You are using ubuntu, and or Slack, as you posted in Linuxquestions.org, and it works, maybe take a peek at the conf file in there and use it to modify the one in Arch. Did this with my current Fedora drive, and it works a treat.

Otherwise try a Knoppix live CD , the hardware detection is superb, and do a similar trick, taking what you need from the xorg.conf.

tmadhavan suggestion ... get X working first is maybe the way to go.

Try the Arch Wiki section. Print the relevant pages  off and work though systematically, making notes as you go.
This way you will learn not only the cogs and wheels, but how to learn for yourself.

XFCE works for me, just fine too.  Dont get too hung up on Gnome compatibility, the different desktops aren't totally exclusive of each others utils.

Also, and no insult intended, maybe try a simple distribution first, get comfortable with Linux, and a few commands / configs. Theres no shame in learning to walk, a bit of handholding, and using a Distro that sets things up for You 'til you find your feet.  Quoting a distro as "a bit too easy for me" suggests you haven't really done much bar scratch the surface, and transferring to a "hard" distro may only dent your confidence if you cant get iit to work.

Arch, i've found, is a superb distribution. i wouldnt describe it as the best distro for a "Noob to Linux" as you describe yourself elsewhere, but its relatively stable, excellent package management, and as quick as Muck off a Teflon shovel.

anyways, rant over, here's the mod i made to xorg.conf to get my PS2 mouse working, with a scroll wheel, and used as clicked middle button.

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option      "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
    Option      "ZaxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Finally, be Very careful when making changes to the Monitor section.
Too optimistic a setting against your monitors actual Spec, and you can kill it.

The "Humm , smoke, Off" method of testing your config isn't to be recommended.

btw, assumed you can work from the initial console to modify your config files. If not, then you also need to familiarise with Vi text editor, moving about inside directories, while working from the initial "black" console.

Hope You persevere with Linux, and dont get disheartened when things wont work out of the box. Its worth it in the end i guarantee smile

Good Luck

Kern

#5 2005-03-24 13:20:54

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I thought /dev/input/mice was for usb type and /dev/psaux was for ps2? Regardless, you should be able to run hwd and remove the .sample ending or what ever it is, for a working xorg file. That should get you past the mouse errors.  Install hwd (pacman -S hwd) and run it (hwd -s)

#6 2005-03-24 13:37:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Penguin wrote:

I thought /dev/input/mice was for usb type and /dev/psaux was for ps2? Regardless, you should be able to run hwd and remove the .sample ending or what ever it is, for a working xorg file. That should get you past the mouse errors.  Install hwd (pacman -S hwd) and run it (hwd -s)

possibly, though /dev/input/mice takes my touchpad into account too... which is on a ps2 bus

#7 2005-03-24 13:41:37

Kern

Penguin
from
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Con … PS/2,_USB)

Since the 2.6 kernel these are handled by the kernel and all input is directed to /dev/input/mice.

#8 2005-03-24 16:28:11

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I see, I was looking at my sample xorg file from hwd which lists all three types ( serial,usb,ps2) uncommented. Anyways, didn't mean to run on in this thread...

#9 2005-03-24 18:28:26

Kern

penguin,
glad you did. I'd not met hwd 'til seeing your post.
hwd now installed smile

#10 2005-03-24 20:11:06

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Kern wrote:

penguin,
glad you did. I'd not met hwd 'til seeing your post.
hwd now installed smile

tongue

Its supposed to show your network card modules as well, although as of now it doesn't. I believe rasat is working on a patch for it now, so it should be fixed very soon.

#11 2005-03-24 20:14:09

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Penguin wrote:

Its supposed to show your network card modules as well, although as of now it doesn't. I believe rasat is working on a patch for it now, so it should be fixed very soon.

it works fine for me - displays all modules...

#12 2005-03-24 20:30:01

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Well it doesn't work for some. How did you manage to get yours to work phrakture? I followed dp's advice just like you did (or like you said you did). Are you holding out on us? Or is their something magical about your computer?
smile

#13 2005-03-24 20:49:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

try just lshwd and see if it works?

#14 2005-03-24 20:56:21

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I know that works. I was talking about hwd -s showing it like it used to.

Board footer