You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-26 21:55:20

djg1971

autofs / automount question

does anyone know how to set up autofs such that one can automount a filesystem over the network that is exported by another machine?  i've read the arch wiki on autofs and it is either outdated or just does not really explain how to do this. --  i cannot even start the autofs daemon or run automount by hand (fails, but nothing is logged to illuminate the issue even when i try to force logging):

root % . /etc/rc.d/autofs start
:: Starting autofs daemon                 [FAIL]
root %

or,

/etc/autofs % automount -v ./auto.master
automount: test mount forbidden or incorrect kernel protocol version, kernel protocol version 5.00 or above required.
/etc/autofs %

technically i am not a new user but i definitely feel like one now.

i have all the necessary packages installed, as far as I can tell.  i am running the HAL daemon on startup, but i don't really think that should have anything to do with this.  i have written an auto.master file, privileges are all set to 0644.  the directory i refer to in the file exists and is empty.

any help would be greatly appreciated...

#2 2010-05-27 19:28:39

whitethorn

Re: autofs / automount question

At my work we use autofs and ldap.  I'm gonna try to remember how we set this up.  You need to install a couple packages, autofs on the computer you want to mount to, and a nfs-server on the computer you want to mount from.

Server.
Packages :: nfs-server
Files needing editing
/etc/auto.master  (user data and mount point)
/etc/exports  (/path/to/shared/folder and pcs (hostnames) which are allowed to mount)

I'm not quite sure, but you probably have to add the user to /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow

Client
packages:
autofs
Files to be edited
/etc/auto.master

The auto.master files should be the same on both pcs.  I don't know why you can't start autofs though.

#3 2010-05-27 20:58:46

patroclo7

Re: autofs / automount question

Is the autofs4 kernel module loaded?

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

Board footer