You are not logged in.

#51 2010-05-22 17:02:52

Cilyan
Website

Re: 2010.05 snapshots. Less is more.

It's been since September that vi behaves differently. I do not know what is the real reason, I just know there is one and that it is normal. On my computers, I use vim which behaves like vi used to. Probably I simply do not know how to use it, but the simple fact that pressing "i" does not put me in insert mode gets me into troubles. As the previous iso dated from august, it was not a problem. I knew that the first thing I would need to do in the new install is a pacman -Sy vim and that's all. But now the iso has been upgraded, I run into the same problem when I want to edit system configuration during installation and by default vim is not installed.
When I realized my mistake during the installation process, I thought that I would be able to switch to nano. But I was wrong, once an editor is selected, it is impossible to revert and change the editor. So I thought I would simply restart the installer again. I knew that before, I could mount manually the partitions and fix the system, for example reinstalling the bootloader. But this time, when I started the installer again and selected 'Configure System' I was said "You must do 'install packages' before going here". Damn !
I started over the installation, praying that I would not need to download packages again, I had to probe DHCP again even if network was setup, I had to configure the clock even if it was already setup (for timezone, I understand that the new instance of the installer may not know which one was previously selected), and I entered partition again. Here it seemed the installer remembered what were my setups but absolutely wanted to format again. It failed as the partitions were already mounted, so I had a little light of hope that the packages already installed would be recognised by pacman. I was wrong, when trying to install packages, I was said "You must do 'Prepare Hard Drive(s)' before going here" and when selecting 'Prepare Hard drive(s)' I was said "You already went there"!!
I understand that the aif tried to keep it simple, but this time it has really become too stupid! So I do not want to deprecate your work, and I would like to congrats you for the hard work but the fact is that from my point of view, the previous installer did the work better than this new one. I hope that following installation will prove me that I was wrong.
Cheers
Cilyan

#52 2010-05-22 21:58:57

nstoyanov

Cilyan wrote:

It's been since September that vi behaves differently. I do not know what is the real reason, I just know there is one and that it is normal. On my computers, I use vim which behaves like vi used to. Probably I simply do not know how to use it, but the simple fact that pressing "i" does not put me in insert mode gets me into troubles. As the previous iso dated from august, it was not a problem. I knew that the first thing I would need to do in the new install is a pacman -Sy vim and that's all. But now the iso has been upgraded, I run into the same problem when I want to edit system configuration during installation and by default vim is not installed.
When I realized my mistake during the installation process, I thought that I would be able to switch to nano. But I was wrong, once an editor is selected, it is impossible to revert and change the editor. So I thought I would simply restart the installer again. I knew that before, I could mount manually the partitions and fix the system, for example reinstalling the bootloader. But this time, when I started the installer again and selected 'Configure System' I was said "You must do 'install packages' before going here". Damn !
I started over the installation, praying that I would not need to download packages again, I had to probe DHCP again even if network was setup, I had to configure the clock even if it was already setup (for timezone, I understand that the new instance of the installer may not know which one was previously selected), and I entered partition again. Here it seemed the installer remembered what were my setups but absolutely wanted to format again. It failed as the partitions were already mounted, so I had a little light of hope that the packages already installed would be recognised by pacman. I was wrong, when trying to install packages, I was said "You must do 'Prepare Hard Drive(s)' before going here" and when selecting 'Prepare Hard drive(s)' I was said "You already went there"!!
I understand that the aif tried to keep it simple, but this time it has really become too stupid! So I do not want to deprecate your work, and I would like to congrats you for the hard work but the fact is that from my point of view, the previous installer did the work better than this new one. I hope that following installation will prove me that I was wrong.
Cheers
Cilyan

This is strange. When installing the test image right before this official one (it was 2010.05.16) the same thing happened to me -- I chose vi as an editor and it was all messed up. So I too tried restarting the install -- and it remembered all my previous input and never bugged me about doing any steps out of order. (it did not let me change the editor either as it remembered my selection. I had to open another terminal and edit the config files manually) Did the installer change that much between the two releases?

#53 2010-05-23 04:52:30

MkFly

Cilyan wrote:

It's been since September that vi behaves differently. I do not know what is the real reason, I just know there is one and that it is normal. On my computers, I use vim which behaves like vi used to.
[...]
When I realized my mistake during the installation process, I thought that I would be able to switch to nano. But I was wrong, once an editor is selected, it is impossible to revert and change the editor.

I noticed that as well.  I figured that it was because I'm not actually very familiar with vi -- I usually alias vi='vim'emacs is my normal editor, but I can use vim just fine.  I ended up removing the vi package, but I couldn't work it worth a damn.

#54 2010-05-23 09:36:13

loafer

Cilyan wrote:

It's been since September that vi behaves differently. I do not know what is the real reason

There were some changes last September.

http://www.archlinux.org/news/464/

Before that you were actually using Vim rather than Vi

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#55 2010-05-26 13:16:27

akephalos

MkFly wrote:

What luck, I was planning on installing Arch Linux on a currently-unused laptop today.  And the dual-images are very appreciated, as is the ability to write the ISO to a flash drive.  One image is all I'll need.

Luckily I have a mirror very, very close by. smile

Coincidentally, exactly one day before the release I downloaded the nightly build which proved to be the release image (tested with checksum) in the end, cause me and my gf decided to make an installation from scratch for each - she intends to make the move onto XFCE. I'm getting rid of some old hacks and bloat I don't feel like manually picking because it's not worth it, I'm just waiting for the new pcmanfm.
And I'm not doing this often, the last downloaded image was the previous release in August, funny stuff.

Nice to hear that you got an Arch mirror on Mars, dude wink.

#56 2010-05-26 22:21:31

Leonid.I

Who needs Finnix, if there is arch live...

Great job, thanks!

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#57 2010-05-27 15:28:19

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

akephalos wrote:

Coincidentally, exactly one day before the release I downloaded the nightly build which proved to be the release image (tested with checksum) in the end

we always put the images up 24h or more before doing the actual announcement. this way most mirrors have synchronized, as most mirrors sync once every 24 hours

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#58 2010-05-27 22:35:17

diesel1
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

wollew wrote:

Thank you for this.

One thing I'm missing is "Midnight Commander".  Would be nice if this usefull tool would be added in future versions.

I too would love MC in the base system.

But WOW what a great release, looks cool, plays cool and is cool!

Many thanks for the hard work.

Diesel1.

PS. Seeding.  smile

Last edited by diesel1 (2010-05-27 22:38:16)

Registered GNU/Linux user #140607.

#59 2010-05-28 16:16:35

MkFly

akephalos wrote:

me and my gf decided to make an installation from scratch for each - she intends to make the move onto XFCE.

She sounds like a classy gal.  What is she switching from?  I'm trying to make that move myself, from GNOME.  We'll see if it sticks for me.

#60 2010-05-28 17:46:55

JohannesSM64
Website

No need, those who want it can easily install it.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

Last edited by JohannesSM64 (2010-05-28 17:48:12)

#61 2010-05-28 18:20:27

akephalos

Dieter@be wrote:

we always put the images up 24h or more before doing the actual announcement. this way most mirrors have synchronized, as most mirrors sync once every 24 hours

Thoughtful, this is what I thought as well. In my case it was the last image with the nightly build name, seeing the next day the announcement on Distrowatch I verified its checksum which matched, renamed it, downloaded the release torrent and put it up for seeding smile.

The coincidence consisted in the fact that I didn't use Arch nightly builds so far, I've made the exception exactly that day - just a happy fun fact.

MkFly wrote:

She sounds like a classy gal.  What is she switching from?  I'm trying to make that move myself, from GNOME.  We'll see if it sticks for me.

Hehe, she loves Arch! Just using it, not testing, installing, etc. She's on GNOME, compared to me she's down-to-earth and strongly tends to stick what she knows to work. As far as I remember she "inherited" GNOME from Ubuntu - but it just became slow and frustrating. There's usually a half-year delay since she decides to move on something more suitable and actually doing it.
Besides, my intention to update her system is taken as an offence every time roll.

#62 2010-05-29 00:21:28

diesel1

JohannesSM64 wrote:

No need, those who want it can easily install it.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

Yes I fully agree that you can install it/put it on a usb image etc., but personally I think MC is well worth the space for such a useful, all purpose tool.

'pacman -S mc' is only second to 'pacman -Syu'.

Diesel1.

Last edited by diesel1 (2010-05-29 00:28:18)

#63 2010-05-29 00:25:12

diesel1

akephalos wrote:
MkFly wrote:

Hehe, she loves Arch! Just using it, not testing, installing, etc. She's on GNOME, compared to me she's down-to-earth and strongly tends to stick what she knows to work. As far as I remember she "inherited" GNOME from Ubuntu - but it just became slow and frustrating. There's usually a half-year delay since she decides to move on something more suitable and actually doing it.
Besides, my intention to update her system is taken as an offence every time roll.

My wife is just the same,

"Do not touch my computer, it is working, but can you turn the printer on?"

Then come the emails with snapshots from cheese of her and the kids.

All the best,

Diesel1.

Last edited by diesel1 (2010-05-29 00:25:53)

#64 2010-05-29 13:52:35

schen

The new ISOlinux splash screen looks great! Can you put it in 640x480 with only 14 colors and in xpm.gz format for grub-gfx users?

#65 2010-05-30 14:50:57

ApotheoZ

Nice work !

#66 2010-05-31 19:08:12

sime

Could somebody please share how to create a hybrid CD/USB iso image as you have done for this snapshots? I would really appreciate it.

#67 2010-05-31 19:56:59

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

sime wrote:

Could somebody please share how to create a hybrid CD/USB iso image as you have done for this snapshots? I would really appreciate it.

the tool is isohybrid, archiso (our image building tool) uses it.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#68 2010-06-01 09:41:51

sime

Thanks!

#69 2010-06-02 06:56:47

Google
Website

I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but I heard some people had trouble with UNetbootin installing the new iso to a usb flash drive. I used the universal usb installer and it worked fine under the "other linux" category.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- … -as-1-2-3/

#70 2010-06-04 10:48:58

brain0
Developer

I was thinking about providing a Windows batch script to install the ISO onto a USB drive without deleting it, using syslinux (similar to the method I detailed here, just without a separate partition) - UNetBootin seems to be causing trouble a lot. If I get this done right, this should be as easy as mounting the ISO using daemontools and executing a .bat file in Windows. A script that is just as simple could be used on Linux.

Board footer