You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-30 03:47:36

onthejob

boot error message."give root password for maintenance blah blah!"

hey all, fresh install of arch on a ssd booting get
"give root password for maintenance or ctrl d to continue"
i may not have the message verbatim but that's more or less what it says. problem is there's no error message so maintenance is a bust and there's bugger all in the dmesg that notifies of any error at all. giving ctrl d take me to lxde which works fine apart from lxde term which has no prompt and reinstallation did not fix the issue. not a major drag but annoying. anybody know of a log file somewhere in arch that might log what the prob is. possibly a missing library? thx

#2 2010-05-30 03:53:20

fflarex

Re: boot error message."give root password for maintenance blah blah!"

The first place I would check is your bootloader's configuration, followed by fstab, crypttab (if you use it), rc.conf, etc. Are you using dm-crypt, lvm, or raid? Are you booting into single user mode? I've had this problem in the past and these were the culprits, although it also happened to me earlier this week and I never found the problem. Fortunately it was a brand new installation so I just reinstalled and all was good.

#3 2010-05-30 04:37:32

onthejob

Re: boot error message."give root password for maintenance blah blah!"

thx fflarex. you were on the money. although i haven't fixed the problem yet i know it is in rc.conf. boot halts just after keymap loads and giving control d goes on to load dbus so i guess it is probably something to do with whatever is in between those 2. i will post the results when i conclude or more possibly for more assistance :-)

Board footer