You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-30 04:32:58

Japanlinux

VirtualBox Win7 guest

Hello! I would like to use Win7 in virtualbox, and was wondering if anyone knew how to lower Win7 Ram usage. I already have it set to best performance (but after using Openbox/pekwm, it's not good enough tongue). So Io was wondering if there was a way to get a openbox type window manager on Windows. The reason I am asking, is because i don't have much RAM, and would rather not have VB Windows using most of it, giving any programs I have to run less to use. Also I legally own 7, which is why I'm using it, and not XP. And there are several programs I need which wine doesn't like on my comp so much (though also for some games if I can get Win to not use so much Ram) I realize the irony of asking a Windows question here, but I've been use to the Arch/linux ability to keep the OS ram use low, so when VB is open, i'm a bit annoyed at how much it uses, if you can imagine wink Thanks for any help, and sorry for dragging in a question about Windows to this forum o.O

#2 2010-05-30 07:21:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: VirtualBox Win7 guest

How much RAM does your machine have in the first place? Being annoyed at a number doesn't make sense unless its actually having some non-imaginary effect.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-05-30 08:19:17

Japanlinux

Well I am able to give VB 800mb. But even with best performance, it feels sluggish. It's either my imagination, VB' s fault, or Win7's fault, though I would pin it on Win7 since 800mb should be enough, I think.

#4 2010-05-30 10:33:04

Barghest

I also tried Win7 in Vbox and gave it 1024 Mb RAM but it was pain in the a** even with the "classic look".

So I'll stick with XP.

Last edited by Barghest (2010-05-30 10:35:51)

#5 2010-05-30 11:40:35

Procyon

I haven't had much success with Windows 7 either. The install went fine including Guest Additions, but I can't even get the audio to work and graphics effects were really slow. I couldn't really bother though because I have almost 50 games installed on XP while giving it only 400 MB RAM.

Board footer