You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-31 12:09:04

RiceKills

How to fix everything when power goes out during install? [SOLVED]

last night I was installing kde and during the install process the power went out. I tried uninstalling kde, but pacman said dependencies were missing (I need dependencies to remove stuff?), so I tried reinstalling the kde group and that seems to have worked.

What is the best way to recover from something like this and how can I be sure everything is now fixed?

Last edited by RiceKills (2010-05-31 21:58:05)

#2 2010-05-31 12:30:13

demian

Re: How to fix everything when power goes out during install? [SOLVED]

you can skip pacmans dependency checks with the argument -d.
as far as i know, you can't fix files that were destroyed by a power outage.
in my experience, it's rather rare that power loss destroys files (provided you use a stable file system).

usually it's sufficient to do a thorough file system check with the repair option enabled (don't do this while the filesystems are mounted or at least mount them read-only). usually you can invoke such a file system check with shutdown -Fr now.

no place like /home
github

#3 2010-05-31 13:47:56

akephalos

I *think* the safest way is to re-install the same things. This way Pacman keeps track of the files copied (and created directories) in your system before the crash. If there is something corrupted, it will be replaced with the good one in the package.

#4 2010-05-31 21:57:25

RiceKills

ah, okay. Im gonna mark this as solved for now, if anyone has anything else to say, go ahead.
thanks

Board footer