You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-03 15:26:38

gcala

[Solved] First installation: HP Photosmart C4280 - Epson EPL-4200L

Hi,
this is my first post in the forum since two day ago have removed kubuntu and installed arch. Thanks the awesome wiki I was able to configure lvm, wireless, bluetooth, graphics, etc but have great problems configuring my two printers.

I have installed, as in wiki,

cups
ghostscript
gsfonts
gutenprint
foomatic-db
foomatic-db-engine
foomatic-db-nonfree
foomatic-filters
hplip
cups-pdf

have added cups to the DAEMONS array in rc.conf and my account to lp group and edited /etc/cups/cupsd.conf so now I have SystemGroup lp

**Epson EPL-4200L**
It's a laser print working on parallel port. Was not necessary add in rc.conf lp, parport, parport_pc modules since they are loaded automatically.

Obviously neither kde systemsetting printer applet nor cups web interface find my printer. Here some output of dmesg:

dmesg | egrep -i "parport|lp|epson"
lp: driver loaded but no devices found
parport_pc 00:06: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
parport0: Printer, EPSON EPL-6200L
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven)

**HP Photosmart C4280**
It's a combo (printer/scanner) connected through usb. In lsusb I have:

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 03f0:5c11 Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart C4200 Printer series

I've blacklisted usblp in /etc/rc.conf and changed device node permission. Since:

ls -l /dev/bus/usb/003/004
crw-rw----+ 1 root lp 189, 259  2 giu 20.12 /dev/bus/usb/003/004

have created /etc/udev/rules.d/10-usbprinter.rules and inserted this:

#HP Photosmart C4280
ATTR{idVendor}=="03f0", ATTR{idProduct}=="5c11", MODE:="0660", GROUP:="lp"
LABEL="usbprinter_rules_end"

usbcore is already loaded so no need to insert it in rc.conf

Even this printer is unrecognized.

I have made an attempt using hp tools: with sudo have launched hp-setup and it finds the printer but clicking on "Printer test page" nothing appens; the same from hp-toolbox.

I need a very big help. Thanks

P.S. I have added my account to sudoers and disabled root: I don't know if this is important.

Last edited by gcala (2010-06-04 10:19:58)

#2 2010-06-04 10:19:29

gcala

Re: [Solved] First installation: HP Photosmart C4280 - Epson EPL-4200L

Solved! It was probably a permission problem; used to kubuntu I had added my account to sudoers and blocked root so during printer configuration i used my account/password as credentials; even if they are accepted there is a problem with sudo configuration that make it unusable with cups; so root account is necessary. Using root make other settings useless: inserting !usblp in rc.conf, modify device node permission. Adding own account to lp group is enough.

To use HP scanner add your account to scanner group and uncomment hpaio line in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

Board footer