You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-25 17:22:39

Unia
Website

Succesfull install but small problems

Hi all,

First off, I managed to succesfully install a working Arch Linux system! I'm actually typing this from Arch. Couldn't have done it without your help, so props to you guys out there.

I do have some slight problems. I'll list them here and hopefully you know how to solve one of 'em and I can scratch 'em of my list. :lD
-In KDE, I don't have the shutdown and reboot buttons. How can I get those in the menu? [SOLVED]
-When I logout, my screen stays black instead of going back to the shell. This also occurs when I start xterm instead of KDE and use the exit command.
-Is there some way to edit the KDE kickoff menu? (Kickoff Application Launcher). In Gnome, one can edit the menu's easily. Does KDE have a similiar feature? [SOLVED]
-When I drag my windows around my screen, it moves kinda laggy. I bet this has to do with my graphicscard (An ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5470 with the xf86-video-ati driver)

And...that's it! (For now tongue )
Oh, one question: What is this program Avahi? I seem to have installed Avahi SSH Server Browser and Avahi VNC Server Browser. What do I need those for? [SOLVED]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Unia (2010-05-25 18:59:09)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2 2010-05-25 17:50:27

toad
Website

Re: Succesfull install but small problems

In KDE, I don't have the shutdown and reboot buttons. How can I get those in the menu?

They should be there by default. Can you post a screenshot (using www.omploader.org or some such)?

When I logout, my screen stays black instead of going back to the shell. This also occurs when I start xterm instead of KDE and use the exit command.

How do you start X/KDM?

Is there some way to edit the KDE kickoff menu?

Right click, menu editor.

When I drag my windows around my screen, it moves kinda laggy. I bet this has to do with my graphicscard (An ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5470 with the xf86-video-ati driver)

Try another driver - check the wiki under ATI.

What is this program Avahi?

Again, please check the wiki - http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Avahi

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2010-05-25 17:57:55

Unia
Website

Thanks for your fast reply.
I start X/KDE via the startx command. I did not yet add kdm to my Daemons, but will do soon.
Thanks for your tip on the menu editor. I'll try another driver and I'll read the wiki.
tNGVxYg

Last edited by Unia (2010-05-25 18:00:32)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#4 2010-05-25 18:01:18

orschiro
Website

I'm not sure but perhaps you have to start kde with ck-launch-session prefix when using startx.

Regards

#5 2010-05-25 18:02:10

hokasch

Try with "exec ck-launch-session startkde" in .xinit.

#6 2010-05-25 18:24:36

karol
Archivist

pacman -Qi packagename

will give you some info about that package, among other things, why is it installed.

[karol@black apps]$ pacman -Qi avahi | grep Required
Required By    : libcups

Now you have to check what's that 'libcups' thing :-) You can use http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/avahi/ to get a nice clickable interface to the package db.

#7 2010-05-25 18:45:44

Unia
Website

Thanks karol, that's nice to know.
Orschiro and Hokasch, I'll try. I'll let you know if it works.

#8 2010-05-25 18:49:05

toad
Website

Okay, if you start KDE using startx you cannot shut down the computer, only log off. Once you have KDM in your daemon array they will appear as if by magic smile

never trust a toad...

#9 2010-05-25 18:58:04

Unia
Website

By the way, I also installed Volwheel. I have to start the program via a terminal, and if I close the terminal it closes too. How can I make it startup at boot and keep it running all the time, without having to open terminal all the time?

#10 2010-05-25 18:58:35

Unia
Website

toad wrote:

Okay, if you start KDE using startx you cannot shut down the computer, only log off. Once you have KDM in your daemon array they will appear as if by magic smile

Ah I see. Thanks!

#11 2010-05-25 19:27:16

Unia
Website

Can someone also recommend me a good network manager? Wicd fails somehow, and Knetworkmanager refuses to work.
Also I cannot mount my NTFS Windows 7 partition in Dolphin, help?

Sorry for my many questions sad

#12 2010-05-25 19:41:42

tavianator
Website

Unia wrote:

Can someone also recommend me a good network manager? Wicd fails somehow, and Knetworkmanager refuses to work.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg

Unia wrote:

Also I cannot mount my NTFS Windows 7 partition in Dolphin, help?

Do you have ntfs-3g installed?

#13 2010-05-25 19:47:33

Unia
Website

Yes I have. Crap, I forgot I had netcfg installed too. I'll look into it tomorrow (they were not running at the same time, so that wasn't the problem)

#14 2010-05-30 11:31:56

z33m

Unia wrote:

-When I logout, my screen stays black instead of going back to the shell. This also occurs when I start xterm instead of KDE and use the exit command.

Im installing arch on my Dell studio 1558, with mobility radeon 5470. i also have this problem when i logout out of openbox. When i try to switch between virtual consoles (using Ctrl + Alt +F1-6) after starting X, i get a blank screen.

Last edited by z33m (2010-05-30 11:33:21)

#15 2010-05-30 11:50:24

toad
Website

Unia,

Welcome to Arch wink

This is not a "normal" linux distro. You install a base system and then you are master of proceedings. In my very limited install experience you attack one thing after the other. Let yourself be guided by the wiki and do not expect things to work out of the box. Take notes of problems that arise or ideas to attack at a later stage.

Hope all goes well and remember, the wiki is your friend.

Over and out.

never trust a toad...

#16 2010-06-04 16:02:32

z33m

z33m wrote:
Unia wrote:

Im installing arch on my Dell studio 1558, with mobility radeon 5470. i also have this problem when i logout out of openbox. When i try to switch between virtual consoles (using Ctrl + Alt +F1-6) after starting X, i get a blank screen.

The problem disappeared after installing the proprietary Catalyst drivers. Hope this helps someone.

Board footer