You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-04 18:00:18

HyperHacker

Full-Disk Encryption with USB Key

A while ago I tried to set up full-disk encryption during installation, and all I managed to do was put the installer in a loop and crash it a few times. (I can try to repeat the process in a VM if anyone needs to know exactly how.) I'm wondering what is the best process for installing on an encrypted hard disk.
It'd also be cool if, in addition to a password to decrypt the disk, I could also require a key stored on a USB stick, and have the system shut down if the stick is removed. Is there a way to do this in Arch?
When I moved from Ubuntu to Debian I also encountered an issue with my external USB hard disk, which was encrypted using Truecrypt. For some reason the Truecrypt in Debian's repos can't decrypt a disk that was encrypted with the Truecrypt from Ubuntu's repos. Would this be an issue with Arch as well? I don't have another disk large enough to move everything to, so I need to be able to access the disk as it is, not having to move everything off it and create a new filesystem. (In Debian the solution was to get the Truecrypt from the Ubuntu repos, but this is hardly an ideal solution. I know I should have a second disk to back it up to, but those cost money.)

#2 2010-06-04 18:43:29

Stebalien
Website

Re: Full-Disk Encryption with USB Key

Have you read the wiki?

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#3 2010-06-04 19:02:44

HyperHacker

I was following those instructions but could never get the installer to actually proceed; after a few failed attempts where I managed to get it stuck in a loop, I finally got it to go only to be given a completely useless error message and abort. This was a while ago so I don't remember it exactly, but I could try to replicate it and note the exact process.

#4 2010-06-04 19:08:17

moljac024

Just follow the wiki. And be sure to point the installer to /dev/mapper/whatever, instead of /dev/sdX

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer