You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-06 16:04:51

hashiru

[SOLVED] ttyUSB missing, how does it work? (Huawei E161)

Hi there, I know it sucks if a new user registers and then asks some stupid question, but this is the first time I do not get on with search engines.

I wanted to install an Huawei E161 (but this is not that important) and then found out that my Archlinux does not register ttyUSB for any USB devices. It does not show any messages in dmesg (unlike in other topics on this board). Thus, I am pretty much desperated not knowing why Archlinux does not reserve ttyUSB[0-9]+

This is what I've done up to now:
first) check dmesg
There is no information on ttyUSB.
At my current test I am even hitting another problem (maybe one of my two USB devices is broken). It reassigns a new number to my USB stick forever and prints into dmesg infinitely "hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4". This only happens on one of two USB ports and only to the Huawei (USB mass storage works fine).
Here is my dmesg: http://pastebin.com/1vDRyEKS (I guess only the bottom lines are relevant)
I added the USB sticks as follows:
1) Huawei E161 upper USB port
2) extrememory upper USB port
3) Huawei E161 lower USB port
4) extrememory lower USB port

second) Check for other directories
I read in one thread that there might be a /dev/tts directory and in another one about /dev/usb/tts, but neither of them exists (with and without USB stick).

third) disable HAL and DBUS
I never really understood what HAL and DBUS do exactly, but knowing it has something to do with hardware (abstraction layer wink I disabled them to try if they prevent Arch from assigning a ttyUSB. Still no ttyUSB.

fourth) load module usbserial
still no change (except a message about USB Serial loaded, in dmesg)
Here is my lsmod: http://pastebin.com/SpmxtddF

I guess the whole problem has to do with the stick being recognized as an SCSI CD-ROM device. I read something like this in the German Ubuntuusers Hardware database (stick is being recognized as CDROM, unmount it and it will be recognized as mobile net stick), but as it is not mounted in Arch I do not have to unmount it :-/

Moreover, I do not understand why my USB mass storage stick (extrememory) does not lead to a ttyUSB either, but still works and is attacked to /dev/sdb. The Huawei stick also creates an /dev/sdb, which is probably used for the micro-SD-card in case you insert one (I have not inserted one).

I would really love to understand how ttyUSB works and when arch addes an USB device there and when not. device management is one thing I never understood in Linux hmm

Edit
After restarting (I added my user to groups disk and optical) I tried accessing /dev/sg2 and /dev/sg3 because I saw that the Huawei adds them. However, now I receive an error that I cannot access these devices even though I am member of the group disk and group has read-write access on /dev/sg3 (same with /dev/sg2 just group optical). This is now rather software specific (wvdial and comgt), but actually I am still searching for the right hardware device block… /dev/sr1 isn't the right one either.

comgt 18:10:06 -> -- Error Report --
comgt 18:10:06 -> ---->       ^
comgt 18:10:06 -> Error @6, line 1, Can't control /dev/sg3, please try again.
. (1)

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot open /dev/sg3: Invalid argument

Last edited by hashiru (2010-06-06 17:09:40)

my basic setup: openbox | pypanel | urxvt

http://stefan-koch.name/

#2 2010-06-06 16:46:53

Aedit

Re: [SOLVED] ttyUSB missing, how does it work? (Huawei E161)

#3 2010-06-06 17:08:54

hashiru

Re: [SOLVED] ttyUSB missing, how does it work? (Huawei E161)

Wow fucking awesome!
At first I was pissed, because I thought I had already read that wiki article, but then I saw the modeswitch part and the second try found my Huawei, rewrote it to a E620 and now I have ttyUSB0 - ttyUSB2. Now I only have to adjust my connection string so that my username and password are valid smile

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by hashiru (2010-06-06 17:10:48)

my basic setup: openbox | pypanel | urxvt

http://stefan-koch.name/

Board footer