You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-06 08:13:53

Milena

[SOLVED]Gnome/Compiz/Dbus Issue

I setup Compiz to Autostart using the "without fusion-icon" method from the wiki page:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Com … on.22.29_2
Its much smoother imo, no flickering when switching from metacity to compiz at start like with fusion-icon.
Dbus seems broken due to this method, applications can't load it anymore.
I noticed it first when Emesene plugins stopped working, the current audio track plugin for example.
Error message is:

Plugin initialization failed: Can't Load dbus

It's the same with cairo-dock dbus plugin.
How do i set dbus to load properly when using compiz as wm ?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by Milena (2010-06-06 23:39:41)

#2 2010-06-06 11:13:30

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]Gnome/Compiz/Dbus Issue

Do you have dbus starting in your rc.conf? If so, there's a couple of 'alternate' lines given in the wiki which you should try.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-06-06 23:39:24

Milena

I fixed it this morning, sorry was my own fault. I had to reinstall Arch yesterday after a firmware upgrade for trim support of my ssd and the package dbus-python (0.83.1-1) was not pulled by pacman when i installed the gnome desktop again.

#4 2010-06-07 02:20:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

If it was required but not pulled in there's a bug in the packaging. I have no idea what emesene plugins are (compiz, dock, panel?) but on my system the following software requries dbus-python:-
exaile, gedit-plugins-extra, genesis-sync, system-config-printer-common, wicd

None of which would be in a 'standard' gnome install. You should check out which package exactly requires dbus-python and check its opt-deps, file a bug report if dbus-python should be included.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-06-07 03:07:36

upsidaisium
Website

ngoonee wrote:

If it was required but not pulled in there's a bug in the packaging. I have no idea what emesene plugins are (compiz, dock, panel?) but on my system the following software requries dbus-python:-
exaile, gedit-plugins-extra, genesis-sync, system-config-printer-common, wicd

emesene is a Windows Live IM client. I think you're correct that it's a bug in the packaging, dbus-python should probably be a dependency of emesene..?

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

Board footer