You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-07 18:50:51

eldamar

surf and tabbed

Hi! im trying to use surf and tabbed from suckless, i have some problems tho...

1, how can i change the colors for dmenu used by surf, i guess it could be done in config.h similar to dwm but im not sure excactly how to do that, ive been trying now for ages.

2, how can i autostart tabbed with embedded surf and make surf go to a homepage at startup from the config.h of dwm.

3, can't seem to get the search function for surf to work. what might be the problem?

Last edited by eldamar (2010-06-07 19:33:33)

#2 2010-06-07 19:57:30

ber_t
Website

Re: surf and tabbed

1. You have to use the -nb/-nf/-sb/-sf switches in the dmenu command in surf's config.h, just like in dwm's config.h. Alternatively, you could set them up in dmenu's config.h to match the ones in surf.

2. Your $HOME/.xinitrc is the right place for things like that:

TXID=`tabbed -d 2>/dev/null`
surf -e $TXID YOUR_URL &

3. The search command from config.def.h should work fine. Are there any outputs in the terminal window in which you started surf after pressing ctrl-/?

#3 2010-06-07 20:11:43

eldamar

Thanks for the help.
1, yeah i tryide doing that but when i try to  make that changes to the config.h of surf i can't get dmenu started some times and if i get it started it's without colors, i guess i just don't know how to work with the config to make it valid code.

2, what i would like tho is to start tabbed with a combination of keys, like modkey+alt+w to start tabbed with a embedded surf? is that posible?

3, i get nothing, the problem might be that i need to press shift to make a slash with my swedish keyboard layout, i'll try to change the key-command for it in the config.

is the search patch from suckless homepage still working with latest surf-hg from aur?

#4 2010-06-07 20:31:02

ber_t
Website

1. I've tried this one, and it worked for me:

#define SETPROP(p, q)     { .v = (char *[]){ "/bin/sh", "-c", \
  "prop=\"`xprop -id $2 $0 | cut -d '\"' -f 2 | dmenu -nb \"#999999\" \
  -nf \"#000000\" -sb \"#FF0000\" -sf \"#FFFFFF\" `\" &&" \
  "xprop -id $2 -f $1 8s -set $1 \"$prop\"", \
  p, q, winid, NULL } }

2. Sorry, I misunderstood you. Just put the following line to the keys[] definition in dwm's config.h:

{ MODKEY|ShiftMask,  XK_w,  spawn,  SHCMD("TXID=`tabbed -d 2>/dev/null`; surf -e $TXID YOUR_URL") },
eldamar wrote:

is the search patch from suckless homepage still working with latest surf-hg from aur?

Because suckless.org is in scheduled downtime for the next hours, I could not check this.
Did you refered to this patch for the initial 3. because I thought you meant the default search function built into vanilla surf?

Last edited by ber_t (2010-06-07 20:34:50)

#5 2010-06-07 20:37:41

eldamar

I'll try the first and second, thanks for all the help.

I was refering to the built in search function in my third question, i got it working after changing they key-combination to ctrl-f so i guess it had to do with me having to press shift in order to make a slash charracter.

Board footer