You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-07 21:04:01

relgueta

fonts!, fonts!, and fonts!!

#2 2010-06-07 21:39:26

alexj

Re: fonts!, fonts!, and fonts!!

I use Droid as my main font in Arch smile.

Disfruta la vida, es más tarde de lo que crees. - Proverbio chino
Ten menos. Haz menos. Se más. - Aboodi Shaby

#3 2010-06-07 21:43:02

Zariel

Hm, droid looks nice! Might give it a spin.

#4 2010-06-07 22:07:07

Anikom15
Banned
Website

The fact that Droid Mono failing to clearly differentiate between 0 and O is complete failure. Courier gets an exception because it was designed for typewriters, but on the computer that distinction is necessary.

Personally, I'd rather be back in Hobbiton.

#5 2010-06-07 22:17:00

jordz

Anikom15 wrote:

The fact that Droid Mono failing to clearly differentiate between 0 and O is complete failure. Courier gets an exception because it was designed for typewriters, but on the computer that distinction is necessary.

Link from wikipedia: The Cosmix.org Slashed and Dotted zero modified versions of Droid Sans Mono

#6 2010-06-07 23:23:31

szymon_g

there is nothing better than Terminus Font smile (for both- gui and console)

#7 2010-06-08 00:43:36

upsidaisium
Website

alexj wrote:

Are they freely available..? I noticed a PKGBUILD, but when I was looking on the Droid Fonts and Ascender website I didn't notice any free downloads hmm

Whenever I'm making documents in Vietnamese (or docs that will eventually be translated into Vietnamese..) I have a bit less freedom of font choice, as so many fonts don't have the characters. But recently I found Gentium, which I like better than Times New Roman or Dejavu Serif, so I've been using it when possible. For serif fonts, I usually stick with Arial on Windows or Dejavu Sans on Linux.

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#8 2010-06-08 01:31:30

mrunion
Website

Ditto using droid here. I love it!

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#9 2010-06-08 02:36:46

Cookie

Lovely Fonts! thanks for sharing smile

Linux nabcake in training...
ArchLinux64

#10 2010-06-08 03:39:59

dmz
Website

szymon_g wrote:

there is nothing better than Terminus Font smile (for both- gui and console)

That's what I thought too, then I found Profont.

#11 2010-06-08 04:04:44

thayer
Fellow
Website

upsidaisium wrote:
alexj wrote:

Are they freely available..? I noticed a PKGBUILD, but when I was looking on the Droid Fonts and Ascender website I didn't notice any free downloads hmm

They are available under the Apache License which is free:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droid_%28font%29

@jordz: I had no idea those slashed/dotted mods existed...awesome!

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#12 2010-06-08 06:39:31

toxygen

am I the only fan of linux libertine? i only picked it for it's name too big_smile

and the day i find a linux equivalent of Poor Richard (from MS) i'll be happy... wait, what's this? i'm happy big_smile

http://www.broble.com/download-free-font/poor-richard/

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#13 2010-06-08 06:48:33

dmz
Website

BEWARE!!

Note:
Make sure that you check downloaded font with anti virus!!

Last edited by dmz (2010-06-08 06:48:46)

#14 2010-06-08 06:50:07

lustikus

I switched from Terminus to Droid Sans Mono Slashed some weeks ago and I love it.

#15 2010-06-08 07:08:00

toxygen

dmz wrote:

BEWARE!!

Note:

looks clean smile

edit: i dont know if link works, it's an online virus scan called virus total, upload file, free scan big_smile

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:

#16 2010-06-08 07:43:49

upsidaisium
Website

thayer wrote:
upsidaisium wrote:
alexj wrote:

They are available under the Apache License which is free

Maybe I was just looking at the Pro versions of the fonts..? Everything had price tags on the Ascender site! But thanks for the tip; I just noticed the git repository.

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#17 2010-06-08 09:06:32

szymon_g

dmz wrote:

unfortunately, it seems that Profont doesn't support characters for my language (they are cowered by iso-8859-2), so I wont use them. Terminus has no problems with them smile

#18 2010-06-08 09:16:23

dmz
Website

szymon_g wrote:
dmz wrote:

unfortunately, it seems that Profont doesn't support characters for my language (they are cowered by iso-8859-2), so I wont use them. Terminus has no problems with them smile

Are you sure? Looks almost identical to me.

Terminus:

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~ ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬-®¯°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö÷øùúûüýþÿĀāĂ㥹ĆćĈĉĊċČčĎďĐđĒēĔĕĖėĘęĚěĜĝĞğĠġĢģĤĥĦħĨĩĪīĬĭĮįİıIJijĴĵĶķĸĹĺĻļĽľĿŀŁłŃńŅņŇňʼnŊŋŌōŎŏŐőŒœŔŕŖŗŘřŚśŜŝŞşŠšŢţŤťŦŧŨũŪūŬŭŮůŰűŲųŴŵŶŷŸŹźŻżŽžſƀƁƂƃƄƅƆƇƈƉƊƋƌƍƎƏƐƑƒƓƔƕƖƗƘƙƚƛƜƝƞƟƠơƢƣƤƥƦƧƨƩƪƫƬƭƮƯưƱƲƳƴƵƶƷƸƹƺƻƼƽƾƿǀǁǂǃDŽDždžLJLjljNJNjnjǍǎǏǐǑǒǓǔǕǖǗǘǙǚǛǜǝǞǟǠǡǢǣǤǥǦǧǨǩǪǫǬǭǮǯǰDZDzdzǴǵǶǷǸǹǺǻǼǽǾǿȀȁȂȃȄȅȆȇȈȉȊȋȌȍȎȏȐȑȒȓȔȕȖȗȘșȚțȜȝȞȟȠȡȢȣȤȥȦȧȨȩȪȫȬȭȮȯȰȱȲȳȴȵȶȷȸȹȺȻȼȽȾȿɀɁɂɃɄɅɆɇɈɉɊɋɌɍɎɏɐɑɒɓɔɕɖɗɘəɚɛɜɝɞɟɠɡɢɣɤɥɦɧɨɩɪɫɬɭɮɯɰɱɲɳɴɵɶɷɸɹɺɻɼɽɾɿʀʁʂʃʄʅʆʇʈʉʊʋʌʍʎʏʐʑʒʓʔʕʖʗʘʙʚʛʜʝʞʟʠʡʢʣʤʥʦʧʨʩʪʫʬʭʮʯʰʱʲʳʴʵʶʷʸʹʺʻʼʽʾʿˀˁ˂˃˄˅ˆˇˈˉˊˋˌˍˎˏːˑ˒˓˔˕˖˗˘˙˚˛˜˝˞˟ˠˡˢˣˤ˥˦˧˨˩˪˫ˬ˭ˮ˯˰˱˲˳˴˵˶˷˸˹˺˻˼˽˾˿̴̵̶̡̢̧̨̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̣̤̥̦̩̪̫̬̭̮̯̰̱̲̳̹̺̻̼͇͈͉͍͎̀́̂̃̄̅̆̇̈̉̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̽̾̿̀́͂̓̈́͆͊͋͌̕̚ͅ͏͓͔͕͖͙͚͐͑͒͗͛ͣͤͥͦͧͨͩͪͫͬͭͮͯ͘͜͟͢͝͞͠͡ͰͱͲͳʹ͵Ͷͷ͸͹ͺͻͼͽ;Ϳ΀΁΂΃΄΅Ά·ΈΉΊ΋Ό΍ΎΏΐΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡ΢ΣΤΥΦΧΨΩΪΫάέήίΰαβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρςστυφχψωϊϋόύώϏϐϑϒϓϔϕϖϗϘϙϚϛϜϝϞϟϠϡϢϣϤϥϦϧϨϩϪϫϬϭϮϯϰϱϲϳϴϵ϶ϷϸϹϺϻϼϽϾϿЀЁЂЃЄЅІЇЈЉЊЋЌЍЎЏАБВГДЕЖЗИЙКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЪЫЬЭЮЯабвгдежзийклмнопрстуфхцчшщъыьэюяѐёђѓєѕіїјљњћќѝўџѠѡѢѣѤѥѦѧѨѩѪѫѬѭѮѯѰѱѲѳѴѵѶѷѸѹѺѻѼѽѾѿҀҁ҂҃҄҅҆҇҈҉ҊҋҌҍҎҏҐґҒғҔҕҖҗҘҙҚқҜҝҞҟҠҡҢңҤҥҦҧҨҩҪҫҬҭҮүҰұҲҳҴҵҶҷҸҹҺһҼҽҾҿӀӁӂӃӄӅӆӇӈӉӊӋӌӍӎӏӐӑӒӓӔӕӖӗӘәӚӛӜӝӞӟӠӡӢӣӤӥӦӧӨөӪӫӬӭӮӯӰӱӲӳӴӵӶӷӸӹӺӻӼӽӾӿԀԁԂԃԄԅԆԇԈԉԊԋԌԍԎԏԐԑԒԓԔԕԖԗԘԙԚԛԜԝԞԟԠԡԢԣԤԥԦԧԨԩԪԫԬԭԮԯ԰ԱԲԳԴԵԶԷԸԹԺԻԼԽԾԿՀՁՂՃՄՅՆՇՈՉՊՋՌՍՎՏՐՑՒՓՔՕՖ՗՘ՙ՚՛՜՝՞՟ՠաբգդեզէըթժիլխծկհձղճմյնշոչպջռսվտրցւփքօֆևֈ։֊֋֌֍֎֏֐ְֱֲֳִֵֶַָֹֺֻּֽ֑֖֛֢֣֤֥֦֧֪֚֭֮֒֓֔֕֗֘֙֜֝֞֟֠֡֨֩֫֬֯־ֿ׀ׁׂ׃ׅׄ׆ׇ׈׉׊׋׌׍׎׏אבגדהוזחטיךכלםמןנסעףפץצקרשת׫׬׭׮ׯװױײ׳״׵׶׷׸׹׺׻׼׽׾׿؀؁؂؃؄؅؆؇؈؉؊؋،؍؎؏ؘؙؚؐؑؒؓؔؕؖؗ؛؜؝؞؟ؠءآأؤإئابةتثجحخدذرزسشصضطظعغػؼؽؾؿـفقكلمنهوىيًٌٍَُِّْٕٖٜٟٓٔٗ٘ٙٚٛٝٞ٠١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩٪٫٬٭ٮٯٰٱٲٳٴٵٶٷٸٹٺٻټٽپٿڀځڂڃڄڅچڇڈډڊڋڌڍڎڏڐڑڒړڔڕږڗژڙښڛڜڝڞڟڠڡڢڣڤڥڦڧڨکڪګڬڭڮگڰڱڲڳڴڵڶڷڸڹںڻڼڽھڿۀہۂۃۄۅۆۇۈۉۊۋیۍێۏېۑےۓ۔ەۖۗۘۙۚۛۜ۝۞ۣ۟۠ۡۢۤۥۦ۩۪ۭ۫۬ۮۯ۰۱۲۳۴۵۶۷۸۹ۺۻۼ۽۾ۿ܀܁܂܃܄܅܆܇܈܉܊܋܌܍܎܏ܐܑܒܓܔܕܖܗܘܙܚܛܜܝܞܟܠܡܢܣܤܥܦܧܨܩܪܫܬܭܮܯܱܴܷܸܹܻܼܾ݂݄݆݈ܰܲܳܵܶܺܽܿ݀݁݃݅݇݉݊݋݌ݍݎݏݐݑݒݓݔݕݖݗݘݙݚݛݜݝݞݟݠݡݢݣݤݥݦݧݨݩݪݫݬݭݮݯݰݱݲݳݴݵݶݷݸݹݺݻݼݽݾݿހށނރބޅކއވމފދތލގޏސޑޒޓޔޕޖޗޘޙޚޛޜޝޞޟޠޡޢޣޤޥަާިީުޫެޭޮޯްޱ
Profont:

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~ ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬-®¯°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö÷øùúûüýþÿĀāĂ㥹ĆćĈĉĊċČčĎďĐđĒēĔĕĖėĘęĚěĜĝĞğĠġĢģĤĥĦħĨĩĪīĬĭĮįİıIJijĴĵĶķĸĹĺĻļĽľĿŀŁłŃńŅņŇňʼnŊŋŌōŎŏŐőŒœŔŕŖŗŘřŚśŜŝŞşŠšŢţŤťŦŧŨũŪūŬŭŮůŰűŲųŴŵŶŷŸŹźŻżŽžſƀƁƂƃƄƅƆƇƈƉƊƋƌƍƎƏƐƑƒƓƔƕƖƗƘƙƚƛƜƝƞƟƠơƢƣƤƥƦƧƨƩƪƫƬƭƮƯưƱƲƳƴƵƶƷƸƹƺƻƼƽƾƿǀǁǂǃDŽDždžLJLjljNJNjnjǍǎǏǐǑǒǓǔǕǖǗǘǙǚǛǜǝǞǟǠǡǢǣǤǥǦǧǨǩǪǫǬǭǮǯǰDZDzdzǴǵǶǷǸǹǺǻǼǽǾǿȀȁȂȃȄȅȆȇȈȉȊȋȌȍȎȏȐȑȒȓȔȕȖȗȘșȚțȜȝȞȟȠȡȢȣȤȥȦȧȨȩȪȫȬȭȮȯȰȱȲȳȴȵȶȷȸȹȺȻȼȽȾȿɀɁɂɃɄɅɆɇɈɉɊɋɌɍɎɏɐɑɒɓɔɕɖɗɘəɚɛɜɝɞɟɠɡɢɣɤɥɦɧɨɩɪɫɬɭɮɯɰɱɲɳɴɵɶɷɸɹɺɻɼɽɾɿʀʁʂʃʄʅʆʇʈʉʊʋʌʍʎʏʐʑʒʓʔʕʖʗʘʙʚʛʜʝʞʟʠʡʢʣʤʥʦʧʨʩʪʫʬʭʮʯʰʱʲʳʴʵʶʷʸʹʺʻʼʽʾʿˀˁ˂˃˄˅ˆˇˈˉˊˋˌˍˎˏːˑ˒˓˔˕˖˗˘˙˚˛˜˝˞˟ˠˡˢˣˤ˥˦˧˨˩˪˫ˬ˭ˮ˯˰˱˲˳˴˵˶˷˸˹˺˻˼˽˾˿̴̵̶̡̢̧̨̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̣̤̥̦̩̪̫̬̭̮̯̰̱̲̳̹̺̻̼͇͈͉͍͎̀́̂̃̄̅̆̇̈̉̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̽̾̿̀́͂̓̈́͆͊͋͌̕̚ͅ͏͓͔͕͖͙͚͐͑͒͗͛ͣͤͥͦͧͨͩͪͫͬͭͮͯ͘͜͟͢͝͞͠͡ͰͱͲͳʹ͵Ͷͷ͸͹ͺͻͼͽ;Ϳ΀΁΂΃΄΅Ά·ΈΉΊ΋Ό΍ΎΏΐΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡ΢ΣΤΥΦΧΨΩΪΫάέήίΰαβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρςστυφχψωϊϋόύώϏϐϑϒϓϔϕϖϗϘϙϚϛϜϝϞϟϠϡϢϣϤϥϦϧϨϩϪϫϬϭϮϯϰϱϲϳϴϵ϶ϷϸϹϺϻϼϽϾϿЀЁЂЃЄЅІЇЈЉЊЋЌЍЎЏАБВГДЕЖЗИЙКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЪЫЬЭЮЯабвгдежзийклмнопрстуфхцчшщъыьэюяѐёђѓєѕіїјљњћќѝўџѠѡѢѣѤѥѦѧѨѩѪѫѬѭѮѯѰѱѲѳѴѵѶѷѸѹѺѻѼѽѾѿҀҁ҂҃҄҅҆҇҈҉ҊҋҌҍҎҏҐґҒғҔҕҖҗҘҙҚқҜҝҞҟҠҡҢңҤҥҦҧҨҩҪҫҬҭҮүҰұҲҳҴҵҶҷҸҹҺһҼҽҾҿӀӁӂӃӄӅӆӇӈӉӊӋӌӍӎӏӐӑӒӓӔӕӖӗӘәӚӛӜӝӞӟӠӡӢӣӤӥӦӧӨөӪӫӬӭӮӯӰӱӲӳӴӵӶӷӸӹӺӻӼӽӾӿԀԁԂԃԄԅԆԇԈԉԊԋԌԍԎԏԐԑԒԓԔԕԖԗԘԙԚԛԜԝԞԟԠԡԢԣԤԥԦԧԨԩԪԫԬԭԮԯ԰ԱԲԳԴԵԶԷԸԹԺԻԼԽԾԿՀՁՂՃՄՅՆՇՈՉՊՋՌՍՎՏՐՑՒՓՔՕՖ՗՘ՙ՚՛՜՝՞՟ՠաբգդեզէըթժիլխծկհձղճմյնշոչպջռսվտրցւփքօֆևֈ։֊֋֌֍֎֏֐ְֱֲֳִֵֶַָֹֺֻּֽ֑֖֛֢֣֤֥֦֧֪֚֭֮֒֓֔֕֗֘֙֜֝֞֟֠֡֨֩֫֬֯־ֿ׀ׁׂ׃ׅׄ׆ׇ׈׉׊׋׌׍׎׏אבגדהוזחטיךכלםמןנסעףפץצקרשת׫׬׭׮ׯװױײ׳״׵׶׷׸׹׺׻׼׽׾׿؀؁؂؃؄؅؆؇؈؉؊؋،؍؎؏ؘؙؚؐؑؒؓؔؕؖؗ؛؜؝؞؟ؠءآأؤإئابةتثجحخدذرزسشصضطظعغػؼؽؾؿـفقكلمنهوىيًٌٍَُِّْٕٖٜٟٓٔٗ٘ٙٚٛٝٞ٠١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩٪٫٬٭ٮٯٰٱٲٳٴٵٶٷٸٹٺٻټٽپٿڀځڂڃڄڅچڇڈډڊڋڌڍڎڏڐڑڒړڔڕږڗژڙښڛڜڝڞڟڠڡڢڣڤڥڦڧڨکڪګڬڭڮگڰڱڲڳڴڵڶڷڸڹںڻڼڽھڿۀہۂۃۄۅۆۇۈۉۊۋیۍێۏېۑےۓ۔ەۖۗۘۙۚۛۜ۝۞ۣ۟۠ۡۢۤۥۦۧۨ۩۪ۭ۫۬ۮۯ۰۱۲۳۴۵۶۷۸۹ۺۻۼ۽۾ۿ܀܁܂܃܄܅܆܇܈܉܊܋܌܍܎܏ܐܑܒܓܔܕܖܗܘܙܚܛܜܝܞܟܠܡܢܣܤܥܦܧܨܩܪܫܬܭܮܯܱܴܷܸܹܻܼܾ݂݄݆݈ܰܲܳܵܶܺܽܿ݀݁݃݅݇݉݊݋݌ݍݎݏݐݑݒݓݔݕݖݗݘݙݚݛݜݝݞݟݠݡݢݣݤݥݦݧݨݩݪݫݬݭݮݯݰݱݲݳݴݵݶݷݸݹݺݻݼݽݾݿހށނރބޅކއވމފދތލގޏސޑޒޓޔޕޖޗޘޙޚޛޜޝޞޟޠޡޢޣޤޥަާިީުޫެޭޮޯްޱ޲޳޴޵޶޷޸޹޺޻޼޽޾޿߀߁߂߃߄߅߆߇߈߉ߊߋߌߍߎߏߐ

#19 2010-06-08 10:50:17

szymon_g

hm... i have to confess- I'm on windows now, and its 'font viewer' (or whatever its called) shows me something like that http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9518/czcionki.png - and, as you can see, some letters are displayed improperly (compare: "a" to "ą"). although, according to info you pasted here, it Polish characters should be displayed properly. anyway- I'll check this font on linux smile

#20 2010-06-08 12:04:53

zowki
Website

toxygen wrote:
dmz wrote:

BEWARE!!

Note:

looks clean smile

edit: i dont know if link works, it's an online virus scan called virus total, upload file, free scan big_smile

You know dmz was just joking right? We use Linux so no worries about virii!

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#21 2010-06-08 14:56:10

sokuban

Wow, I really like the Fell Types fonts. I've never seen classical fonts like that that worked on a computer.

They are nice though, but only problem is that they don't seem to be unicode compatible. I guess they have to do that, to differentiate between glyphs that unicode encodes to only one codepoint.

Unfortunately that makes the fonts unusable for anything other than plain English (without support for special glyph forms) or documents specially designed for it.

I'd like to use the fonts myself too, but I need to know what the codepoints of the special glyphs are. Anybody know any way to tell?

(I haven't looked at the other fonts like droid etc yet, so no comment on them. ><)

I mean, they seem good, but I don't think I'd change from dejavu as my system font simply because I don't know if other fonts would support unicode as well. Most of the fonts there probably only support basic Latin, or a few extra diacritics/ligatures, but would cry if you asked them to write IPA transcription or something.

Last edited by sokuban (2010-06-08 17:22:29)

#22 2010-06-08 15:20:48

toxygen

zowki wrote:

You know dmz was just joking right? We use Linux so no worries about virii!

yes i know tongue

i was just turning the joke around on him big_smile

#23 2010-06-08 15:29:29

JohannesSM64
Website

Linux, up until recent times, remained unremarkable when it came to GUI design. Really, it's been in the last 2-3 years that we have seen considerable advances in the GUI of Linux desktops. Ubuntu made strides forward with its "Human" interface – featuring subtle browns and bright orange icons.

-.-

Ok, sorry.
I use ProggyCleanSZ, Terminus and DejaVu.

#24 2010-06-08 17:25:16

Ashren
Website

Dina-font is preferable for any cli work imo.

Relgueta: Thanks for posting these very nice fonts.

#25 2010-06-08 22:39:21

Anikom15
Banned
Website

URW's Garamond is the greatest serif font ever made and Franklin Gothic is the greatest sans-serif font ever made. (For printing anyway)

Personally, I'd rather be back in Hobbiton.

Board footer