You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-08 02:43:30

frigger908

Legality of libdvdcss in the united states?

I want to know whether it is illegal to install libdvdcss on arch linux in the United States without buying the rights to do so..and if it is illegal how do I claim the rights to install it?

#2 2010-06-08 03:04:14

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Legality of libdvdcss in the united states?

frigger908 wrote:

I want to know whether it is illegal to install libdvdcss on arch linux in the United States without buying the rights to do so..and if it is illegal how do I claim the rights to install it?

No, it's not illegal to install libdvdcss in the U.S. Using it has come under question, but there's never been a successful case against it. So far the US courts have ruled in favor of 'fair use'. There currently is no legal precedent in the US for the use of any decrytping software unless a user redistributes copyrighted material.

#3 2010-06-08 03:07:01

frigger908

Alright thanks.

#4 2010-06-08 03:10:00

Skripka

skottish wrote:

No, it's not illegal to install libdvdcss in the U.S. Using it has come under question, but there's never been a successful case against it. So far the US courts have ruled in favor of 'fair use'. There currently is not legal precedent in the US for the use of any decrytping software unless a user redistributes copyrighted material.

Correct Sir Skottish.

@OP: Any question regarding copyright or Fair Use law usually requires a highpowered team of lawyers that cost $10,000/hour to answer with any level of certainty.  There's LOTS of often contradictory law statutory and case that yields no clear answers to anyone who is NOT a professional attorney specializing in copyright.

You bought the damn disc.  You bought the damn drive.  Get some popcorn and enjoy your movie.

Board footer