You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-08 20:49:00

geotri314

partition accessed by both arch and windows...?

Hi guys. i am quite new to linux and i wanna do this thing: i wanna install on my pc both windows and arch linux but i also want to have a partition in which both the operational systems can have read/write access. ie: i wanna have 60 GBs for windows, 60 Gbs for Arch linux (both / and /home) and another 120 GBs for something where i can store things that i can handle regardless the os, so as to avoid buying an external hdd. is something like this possible, and if yes what should i be doing during the installation? i ve already googled it in various ways, but i havent found something explanatory enough. i am sorry for bothering you and thank you for your time.

#2 2010-06-08 20:57:33

anonymous_user

Re: partition accessed by both arch and windows...?

Just format the partition you want to share as NTFS. Or what are you asking exactly?

#3 2010-06-08 21:02:38

geotri314

wow, that was big time foolishness of me! sad havent thought of that. thanks. i will go and and kill myself with a hammer now... sad

#4 2010-06-08 21:04:13

fsckd
Forum Fellow

pics or it didn't happen

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#5 2010-06-08 21:06:21

ewaller
Administrator

This is an easy one -- sort of.

Create a partition on the drive that is in a format that is recognized by both file systems (generally NTFS or FAT) .
Windows will find and mount the partition automatically.
Linux can mount the volume in a variety of ways.  The easiest is to create an /etc/fstab entry.  Alternately, hal and any of the GUI partition mount tools will do the trick.
I assume you intend to boot one OS or the other, not through some sort of Virtualization where both OSs are running and volume is shared
Traditionally, FAT32 has been the most compatible with both OSs.  FAT32 has a problem with file permissions on Linux, so it is best to to create a huge shared disk.  I prefer a smaller disk that the world can share. 

NTFS has diminishing problems with Linux compatibility.  Read access is stable.  Write access is getting pretty good -- but I wouldn't trust it with critical data.

One can get ext2/3/4 drivers for Windows so that it can mount Linux partitions.  I don't like this solution because it exposes my Linux files to the whims of whatever infectious things have infested Windows.  I prefer that Windows remain in ignorant bliss as to the existence of files on my Linux file system.

If you are running a virtual machine (say XP under VMplayer), it is best to set up a virtual network and share via Windows Shares / Samba.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2010-06-08 21:09:26

geotri314

so, ntfs have write problems and fat32 permission problems? which one should i choose?

#7 2010-06-08 21:10:23

fsckd
Forum Fellow

@ewaller

What ext4 drivers exist for windows?* My previous comment is now retroactively redirected to you.

* This is a serious question.

Last edited by fsckd (2010-06-08 21:10:46)

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#8 2010-06-08 21:18:39

anonymous_user

@geotri314 - I've had no problems with NTFS on Linux using the ntfs-3g driver. Also if it helps you decide, FAT32 has a file size limit of ~4GB.

@ewaller - Even if you can get Windows to read a ext4 partition, what about writes? Perhaps the OP wants to transfer files from Windows to Linux.

#9 2010-06-08 21:23:10

geotri314

ok the 4GB issue made me positive for NTFS. smile thank you guys. smile

#10 2010-06-08 22:46:18

ewaller
Administrator

fsckd wrote:

@ewaller

What ext4 drivers exist for windows?* My previous comment is now retroactively redirected to you.

I may be mistaken on ext4.  My notes are at home.  I am at $DAYJOB right now.  Let me get back to you.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer