You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-07 17:50:27

Vamp898
Website

Note for KDE Users

Some people here request help and then do mysterious things that makes it harder and harder to solve the problem.

First of all. KDE SC is a Software Collection. Dont write "My KDE is not working", try to determine which of the KDE applications, for example plasma, is not working.

Second, dont delete .kde4!!! .kde4 is the folder for the fully KDE SC so if you have a problem with plasma you delete 1230980219381 configs which are not plasma related. I think you can accept that this is just.......... imagine.

Third: KDE doesnt need measurable more memory or harddiskspace than GNOME. KDE is a very modular project, if you install a full blown SC and then complain "why does it need 1GB of Disk space or even more" its just your fault. There is a group made by the friendly Archlinux KDE Maintainers called (kdebase). Just install that for less space systems like Netbooks. And KDE on my Netbook with 512mb of memory doesnt need more than 150mb of RAM Memory so just accept that you cant measure memory usage on Linux in case of caching. So if it looks like your KDE needs so much memory and you want to decrase it you should maybe take care about learning how memory management in Linux works. This is no bug and its useless to take care to reduce the memory usage of KDE

Fourth: Neither Akonadi nor Nepomuk is the File Indexer. So if you dont want file indexing dont try to de-install them or things like that. Inform yourself what Akonadi and Nepomuk are for or accept that you dont know it and need it. The File indexer is and ever was strigi and can be easily desabled by Systemsettings. Even Nepomuk can be desabled there

Fifthly: keep cool! We all are Humans. Give us time to solve the problem and dont troll around how shitty KDE is.

numero six: dont tell us that you installed KDE. We love to guess what DE you have installed when you have problems with KDE.

If you think some points are missing, just tell me smile

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-06-09 00:28:41)

#2 2010-06-08 04:04:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Note for KDE Users

Are people actually going to read this when they get a KDE problem? Sounds like this belongs on the wiki (with points shortened though).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-06-08 06:33:07

toxygen

many good points here.  you forgot to add KDE SC is the best DE available! big_smile

big kde fan here smile

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#4 2010-06-08 07:19:28

Wu

Inform yourself what Akonadi and Nepomuk are for or accept that you dont know it and need it

Actually, there are some chances that you don't need them.

Until SC 4.5 comes out the only apps depending on them are kaddressbook (akonadi) and the tag/comment feature in dolphin and gwenview (nepomuk). So if you don't use these apps/features you may just disable nepomuk completely (akonadi actually depends on nepomuk, so you just need to disable the latter).

From SC > 4.5.0 on, it may still be the case that you don't need them, but it will be less likely so, since almost all of kontact will be ported to Akonadi. But still, if you don't use kmail & co. and the previously mentioned apps, you may still disable nepomuk completely.

#5 2010-06-08 07:23:23

KlavKalashj

Wu wrote:

Inform yourself what Akonadi and Nepomuk are for or accept that you dont know it and need it

Actually, there are some chances that you don't need them.

Until SC 4.5 comes out the only apps depending on them are kaddressbook (akonadi) and the tag/comment feature in dolphin and gwenview (nepomuk). So if you don't use these apps/features you may just disable nepomuk completely (akonadi actually depends on nepomuk, so you just need to disable the latter).

From SC > 4.5.0 on, it may still be the case that you don't need them, but it will be less likely so, since almost all of kontact will be ported to Akonadi. But still, if you don't use kmail & co. and the previously mentioned apps, you may still disable nepomuk completely.

Actually, I think from 4.5.1 tongue I read somewhere that the new Kmail (and Kontact?) won't make it in time for .0.

Edit: Good post. I agree completely, and about the memory usage, that's interesting. I did a free -m the other day, after like 5 days of uptime, and 97% of my 4 gb's were in use. I thought "wtf?", but then I checked Kinfocenter and it showed (more clearly tongue) 60% of that was cache. Then I was happy, all my memory comes to good use smile KDE is awesome nowadays.

Last edited by KlavKalashj (2010-06-08 07:25:38)

#6 2010-06-08 08:24:34

Wu

Actually, I think from 4.5.1  I read somewhere that the new Kmail (and Kontact?) won't make it in time for .0.

that's why I  wrote "> 4.5.0"  the ">" is the key part there wink

#7 2010-06-08 09:35:45

ashunter

Vamp898 wrote:

Fifthly: keep cool!

As kde users,i thinks we should say keep KOOL smile
I started using kde4 since kde4.0,and i can tell you it just get better after each release.
Still,i may miss kde3 sometimes smile

#8 2010-06-08 14:07:51

Vamp898
Website

I miss KDE3 sometimes too hmm

akonadi in fact is just a database. So Akonadi replaces that KAdressbook, KMail and the other KDE-PIM stuff uses its own Database. One Database for all is more usefull than every app with its own.

Also its Exchange compatible wink

for the memory thing. Some cached memory can´t be showed, even by (h)top or something like that. The easiest thing to show the KDE Memory Management is that

Run KDE on a Machine with 4GB RAM
Run KDE on a Machine with 512MB RAM

On the 512MB Machine KDE will need about 90-120MB of Memory. On the 4GB Machine it will use 600-1200GB of Memory

But it will free the memory if someone needs it so its nearly a useless information about how much memory KDE caches wink

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-06-08 14:11:33)

#9 2010-06-08 14:32:36

Skripka

[soapbox]

Please for the love of gawd, let us drop the silly "Software Compilation", "SC", "KDE SC" branding.  Please.

"I installed KDE on my machine."  Does anyone think for a moment I took the KDE dev team and crammed them in my tower?  Is there any confusion that necessitates extra words and abbreviations?

[/soapbox]

#10 2010-06-09 00:27:47

Vamp898
Website

I added it to point 6 wink

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-06-09 00:29:11)

Board footer