You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-09 07:38:01

Coume
Website

Gnome: CRT screen as Workspace 1 and LaptopLCD as Workspace ??

Hello,

Having bought a new 24" monitor, I have a spare 22" CRT that I want to use with my laptop.
The gnome "screen property" tool recognize the CRT and let me set as main screen without problem but the LCD becomes an extension of it.

How can I make the CRT screen as Workspace 1 and the Laptop LCD as Workspace 2 where both workspace would have very different resolutions?

My video card is an Intel gma 4500hmd.

Thanks in advance for any pointer.
Ludo

#2 2010-06-09 08:31:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Gnome: CRT screen as Workspace 1 and LaptopLCD as Workspace ??

I don't think you really mean 'workspace', as that's a word with a specific meaning on the Linux Desktop.

In any case, you could try separate X screens, meaning you'd not be able to drag windows from screen to screen. Otherwise just use xrandr.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-06-09 09:25:27

Coume
Website

I meant workspace in the way that I have usually 2 workspace set up in Gnome (Workspace, that I can select in using the applet selector).

#4 2010-06-09 09:55:02

Square

This is the default behavior in XMonad, if you want a reason to give XMonad a shot. tongue

#5 2010-06-09 15:27:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

In Gnome this is not possible. Both screens are considered to be connected, so if you switch to your 2nd workspace, both screens are on workspace 2. Easier to explain in compiz terms, both screens are considered to be one face of a cube, so rotating one rotates the other.

Unless, of course, you use separate X screens, but then there's no link between screens at all (can't be different workspaces).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer