You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-09 21:12:38

xakh

All sorts of problems.

Okay, so where to begin? I'm having some trouble with sound, where it only runs from one source at a time, I've got issues with SSL certificates, my network keeps randomly switching back and forth between two ethernet ports, even though only one exists on the machine, and when trying to play a 3D game, the screen either flickers (on cube) or the game force closes before anything happens (log of this can be found at http://pastebin.com/EFNX5akR), and the clock randomly sets itself to different times (not just Jan 1,1970) when the system is turned on. Any help is appreciated, I've been using Linux for two years, but the hardware on this old box is pretty quirky, so I'm in a bit over my head.
EDIT: One other thing. The monitor sets itself to 1158x768 every time I turn on the machine, even though the monitor only supports 1024x768, and I can't figure out how to bind "scrot" to the print screen key in openbox.

Last edited by xakh (2010-06-09 21:15:27)

#2 2010-06-09 21:26:22

Cyrusm

Re: All sorts of problems.

wow.  my suggestion would be to create separate posts for these issues, else wise this thread will just become a big mess that is useless to everyone.

I know there have been previous threads on Time, Ethernet ports switching,keybindings in openbox. don't panic, take things one step at a time.  do some research.  we can't help you unless you help us help you.

the links I've provided are all either solved threads or wiki pages.

Last edited by Cyrusm (2010-06-09 21:29:50)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#3 2010-06-09 21:27:41

xakh

Sorry to put them all in, I was hoping someone could tell me which one would be easiest to solve first?

#4 2010-06-09 21:51:36

SiC

You have a problem with sound because Linux's sound subsystem (ALSA) only allows one program to access the sound device at any one time.  You can solve this by installing pulseaudio (helpful guide available on the wiki).  Basically pulseaudio takes the sound inputs itself and performs software mixing to bring them all together.  It then allows you to control the sound output of individual programs, much like the way that Vista and Windows 7 do.

As for the others, not had any problems with them myself, check out the links mentioned earlier, and google around a bit.

Some additional information would be useful, particularly for the game problems,  what machine are you running (laptop/desktop) are you running Arch 32bit or 64bit, and what is the make of your graphics card?

#5 2010-06-09 22:54:49

tomk
Forum Fellow

SiC wrote:

You have a problem with sound because Linux's sound subsystem (ALSA) only allows one program to access the sound device at any one time.

That is incorrect. ALSA supports multiple simultaneous sounds.

In the absence of further detail, it is hard to provide much assistance, but you could check if any of your sound apps are using ALSA's OSS emulation - that could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Board footer