You are not logged in.

#51 2010-05-14 00:44:24

Heller_Barde

Re: Stapler - A python utility for manipulating PDF docs based on pypdf

@Sara: I don't think I can do that, because I only use pypdf, a library that is not developed anymore and I don't think it does that.

@viniosity: Try it out. I have no clue ^^

@psrivats: I can look into this. I think it's because the pypdf library on ubuntu is still the original slightly deprecated one, while on archlinux I incorporated a few fixes that make the library compatible to the current python2.6 version.

@all: you're welcome. credits to the author of pypdf.

cheers
Barde

#52 2010-06-07 11:23:59

GOwin

I tried the pydftk from github and encountered an error.

It seems to choke with pages with images. I'm trying to rotate all the pages of a PDF file, the output will produce the text properly rotated in the right direction but if an image si found in any page, it is not correctly rotated, and appears to be resized in some random fashion. When this happens, sometimes the text becomes garbled, too.

#53 2010-06-08 06:34:11

Heller_Barde

the latest and greatest of stapler is here: http://github.com/fwenzel/stapler

I have to stress that this is _NOT_ my update of stapler, it is a fork by fwenzel. I might merge his changes into my github-thingie and continue work on stapler. I don't really have the time at the moment and I don't need any features very urgently, so this is a low priority for me.

give his version a whirl and maybe it works.

cheers
Barde

#54 2010-06-08 08:48:36

GOwin

Thanks Barde.

The link I posted above actually points to fwenzel's. Anyway, i tried the main branch, I'm experiencing the same problem. Images are all off.

PS
I actually thought about using pdftk before I found pydftk. It wasn't working, so I went ahead and installed pdftk, and it works. sad

#55 2010-06-10 07:22:57

Heller_Barde

GOwin wrote:

Thanks Barde.

The link I posted above actually points to fwenzel's. Anyway, i tried the main branch, I'm experiencing the same problem. Images are all off.

PS
I actually thought about using pdftk before I found pydftk. It wasn't working, so I went ahead and installed pdftk, and it works. sad

ah, sorry, I was confused by the "gist" part. Silly me ^^

Yeah... I don't have time at the moment to work on it, so I can't help you. I hope pdftk works out for you wink

cheers
Barde

#56 2010-07-28 21:56:08

bakersman

+1 on stapler!

Thanks for this great script. I like the syntax even better than pdftk. smile

#57 2010-08-05 17:43:46

kyle_white

GOwen, since pydftk and stapler use a function of pypdf to rotate entire pages, the issue would probably be in pypdf itself. I almost exclusively work with PDFs where the entire page is a scanned image, and it works for these. I wonder if a particular program or a certain form of inline image causes problems - If you provided a sample PDF I could look into it a bit, but I probably won't take the time for a fix if it's too complex (maybe you'd have more luck with fwenzel wink ).

If fwenzel is active in developing stapler, I'd be interested in communicating with him to see if he could roll the additions of pydftk into stapler. A few months ago I added untested code to allow stamping and watermarks at a request, but haven't tested and submitted it. I also noticed he wanted to add password encryption, which has been added and minimally tested with pydftk. I'll see if I can get hold of him and we can get it all together.

#58 2011-02-10 13:37:43

rmanola

Hello, I know this is kind of an old thread but I'd like to point out that pdftk is still maintained by the official author and it's main dependency as well (gcc-gcj: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=1638) at the AUR repository.

#59 2011-03-16 04:36:05

jwhendy

Is this project still active? It seems like there are two tools being discussed here: pydftk and stapler? Or was pydftk the original invention and it became stapler? Also, does stapler have a rotate command or not? The post on page 2 mentions such capability, but the help from stapler doesn't say anything about rotating capabilities. I'm all about less bloat, so if stapler is active and going to stay that way... I'm in! It's hard to get a good read from this and the git commits on whether that's the case, though. Pdftk appears to have resurrected, so perhaps it's the better bet?

Board footer