You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-10 04:29:08

Firepower

No Sound in ALSA & Pulseaudio despite configuring

Right.

So, I installed ALSA, and fully followed the wiki's instructions to no avail. On a previous install on another computer, I was able to fix the problem by installing Pulseaudio, and so I did it again on my current comp. I got sound on this computer on a singular occasion after the Pulseaudio install, but now sound is gone again. Any idea why?

I am using compiz-standalone, and in my ~/.start-fusion.sh, I already have

pulseaudio --start

in it.

However, when I run pacmd list, it still states that there is no Pulseaudio daemon running. I have to start it manually in the end, and still, sound doesn't work.

I also noticed that when executing

$ fuser -v /dev/snd/*
$ fuser -v /dev/dsp

/dev/dsp does not exist.

asound.conf is already to let pulseaudio be the default device, and everything in alsamixer is unmuted. I have also installed alsa-plugins, so there, really, should be no reason why pulseaudio, and sound in general doesn't work.

Archers take their arrows in the knee.

#2 2010-06-10 06:13:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: No Sound in ALSA & Pulseaudio despite configuring

When you run pavucontrol what shows? In general if alsa doesn't work Pulseaudio won't (its just on top of alsa anyway).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-06-10 09:13:35

Cookie

Re: No Sound in ALSA & Pulseaudio despite configuring

I'm not sure what volume control/mixer you are using but I installed pulse audio yesterday along with gnome-media-pulseaudio and through gnome's applet I was able to change my hardware's profile and manage to get sound and volume controls back smile hope it helps (i'm running compiz stand alone as well but have Gnome DE too)

Linux nabcake in training...
ArchLinux64

Board footer