You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-09 21:07:04

karička

Restore system after bad update...

Hi all, I have a problem. How we know, archlinux is rolling update distribution and i think that everybody from us was in situation, when his arch dont work correctly.

im finding some easy, simple program or software (based on GTK+) which do this:
- i can create a backup of my system
- after bad update i can easy restore system (latest snapshot) from grub
- program will restore the system state before update with config files

i will be happy for every advice.

Ps: sorry for my english tongue

#2 2010-06-09 21:09:12

Barrucadu
Website

Re: Restore system after bad update...

If you have a bad update, you can simply boot up with the live cd and downgrade the package (if you can't boot), or downgrade it from within Arch if you can boot. That's what the pacman cache is for.

Of course, it's also a good idea to take regular backups so if something goes catastropically wrong, you can revert to a known working state.

#3 2010-06-09 21:14:45

karička

and how i can downgrade system? thought how command?

and when the system cant be boot , which live cd i should to use? i know that exist for example clonezilla or system recovery but i dont know how i should to do it throught it

#4 2010-06-09 21:34:45

mcmillan

karička wrote:

and how i can downgrade system? thought how command?

As is often the case, then answer in in the wiki

and when the system cant be boot , which live cd i should to use? i know that exist for example clonezilla or system recovery but i dont know how i should to do it throught it

The simplest way would probably be with the arch install cd, where you can just use pacman with the -r option (man pacman to read about what it does) to install to your root partition.  Otherwise you could also do a chroot from pretty much any linux cd and then use the pacman from your arch installation.

#5 2010-06-09 23:20:18

munkyeetr

What I usually do before running a full system upgrade is make an image of my root partition with clonezilla, then if there's any issues (so far so good) I can just revert to before the upgrade.

If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.

"More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly." -- Woody Allen

#6 2010-06-10 07:06:41

karička

just as a backup root partition? and whate the home and boot partition?

#7 2010-06-10 10:07:02

karička

ok i tried clonezilla and i agree with you that it is realy good program for backup system. thk for advice smile)

Board footer