You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-10 15:30:20

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Configuring Network

Hi I got my Archlinux up and going as per the beginners guide, up to the point of trying to ping google to try and see if the net is working but I got an unknown host error return to me. This network configuration business is completely new to me and even the beginner's guide has me a bit vexed. I'm on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop and have only ever used a Wireless connection with my virgin broadband router. Where a lot of the instructions talk about wired connections and Ethernet. With Ubuntu my wireless wouldn't work without b43-fwcutter package to install propriety software (the driver). I made sure that this was installed as a package to Arch but other that that I'm with little clue regarding these different network settings, mostly because as I've said I've just normally connected by wireless to my router. Could anybody please help me or direct me to a good place for complete noobs at this networking stuff, especially as a lot of it made little sense to me as I only need wireless.
Cheers.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-05 21:48:40)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-06-10 15:33:22

demian

Re: [SOLVED] Configuring Network

The wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Configuring_Network

Last edited by demian (2010-06-10 15:33:46)

no place like /home
github

#3 2010-06-10 16:48:37

Ben9250
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Configuring Network

Ok, reading through that I found this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wir … all_Driver about wireless networks. Should I just do this or do I still need to do the other stuff in the configure files, it seems odd I'd have to set up all this Ethernet stuff and wired stuff when I don't have it and have never had it.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

Board footer