You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-11 10:21:50

Athunye

Messy keyboard. SOLVED

I'm using gnome with compiz. Sometimes lxde, and sometimes openbox with tint2.

For the second time this week, the keyboard got crazy.  I was using the system (gnome) doing trivial
things and suddenly it started happening.

I hit a key and it prints another (e.g. hit p and it prints *, hit m and it prints 0). Seems like it changes the layout.
It gets so messy that I can't type any more commands.
I log out X, even ttys are now messed. I reboot, ttys are working fine. startx with openbox the keyboard is fine.
I startx gnome, the keyboard get messy again. Going to ttys doesn't help, just like before.

The first time it happened I rm -r ~/.gconf*  ~/.gnome*  ~/.nautilus and ~/.config/compiz/ and startx gnome the
problem just goes away. Both times it happened it was not after an upgrade or anything like that.
Well, I thought it was a gnome related problem.
Afterwards, I had already spent about two hours in lxde. The same darn thing again.

I looked in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi and it was fine.

How come the problem to happen in gnome, going back to ttys the keyboard is messed, rebooting the ttys are fine
but starting X (keyboard messy) and going back to tty right away the keyboard is now messy, when two seconds ago
it wasn't ?

What else could I investigate besides the keyboard layout in gnome, and 10-keymap.fdi file ?

Last edited by Athunye (2010-06-11 19:29:19)

#2 2010-06-11 14:07:10

Cyrusm

Re: Messy keyboard. SOLVED

I'm guessing this is on a laptop.  hit your num-lock key.

on laptops, since there is no 10-key pad, the 10-key is mapped to normal keyboard keys.
U=4
I=5
O=6
P=*
J=4
K=5
L=6 etc. 

if your number lock is on, then your keyboard will be "messy"

Last edited by Cyrusm (2010-06-11 14:11:32)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#3 2010-06-11 19:26:44

Athunye

Re: Messy keyboard. SOLVED

I'm ashamed of myself. Num-Lock was "causing the problem with the keyboard".

Cyrusm, thank you for bothering to answer my stupid thread. Sorry for making you waste
your precious time. Once more, thanks.

Board footer