You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-12 16:02:38

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Which Network Configuration Tool to proceed with??

Hi I think after a few days of rapid learning and battling I have got my laptop to acknowledge my wireless card using the broadcom-wl firmware/driver as eth0 (in my other post). Anyway now I'm guessing it's on to the network configuration, the second part of the wiki on Wireless setups. There are quite a few options, and I'd like to ask you which is best for a laptop (all opinions welcome wink), I read somewhere about profiles and such, being a good idea for laptops. When I have the wireless working I intended to use KDE (if that makes a difference to anyone) I'm thinking either netcfg option? As it allows different configurations and has an net-auto-wireless option which to me sounds like it allows auto detection cand connection to routers and such, like my home network for internet, (would I still need to do the configuration section with this? I have hunch the answer is yes), and it has Arch assistant for when I have a desktop environment. But Network Manager also caught my eye.

Just to be sure - from the wiki, should I just go to the netcfg page and set that up or do I need to follow the instructions in the generic daemon section first? "Following the directions above, you can get a list of wireless networks. Then, as with graphical tools, you will need a password." Confused me a bit.

I'm really pleased with what I have learned in the past few days. I hope someone out there can give me a nod in the right direction as to which method of configuration would be best for laptops. Thank you everyone.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-05 21:47:36)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-06-12 16:22:33

masterkoppa

Re: [SOLVED] Which Network Configuration Tool to proceed with??

If you are looking for an easy option that allows config by GUI and CLI I would recommend [wiki]wicd[/wiki]. Its an easy set and forget daemon that provides a Graphical Interface and a Comandline interface. The only downside is the added dependencies since you will be using KDE(The program is written with the Gnome Toolkit(GTK)). I personally think its the easiest solution for any user.

Last edited by masterkoppa (2010-06-12 16:23:02)

#3 2010-06-12 16:27:17

Stebalien
Website

Network-manager is the easiest for laptops, wicd is kind of a middle ground, and netcfg is the most versitile.

If you simply want to click a tray button, choose a network, type in the encryption key, and connect, use network-manager (the most ubuntu like).

If you want to more control, wireless before login, but still don't want to edit configuration files, use wicd.

If you want complete control, and will put up with editing a few configuration files use netcfg along with one of the GUIs (the most arch like).

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#4 2010-06-12 17:03:14

Ben9250
Website

Thanks guys, If I want to go for a more graphical clicky option would it be a better Idea to connect my laptop up to the wire and install a desktop environment first?

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#5 2010-06-12 17:09:00

masterkoppa

yes it would be a great idea to simple start installing the DE first. Plus the connection is probably alot more stable via LAN than via WIFI, not to mention sometimes faster(Depends on you internet connection).

Good Luck and welcome to the wonderfull world of ArchLinux.

Board footer