You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-15 19:20:15

ilusi0n

[SOLVED]Some questions about security

Hey all there : )

I'm using Arch Linux for some days. I switch from Fedora to use Arch.
But I have some questions that bothers me. I know Arch Linux is a KISS distribution and we need to do everything to keep it like we do.
But about security, as far as I know the kernels come with iptables on it right? That iptables is responsable to monitor the internet.
So if we want to control it we install a front-head to be easier. So does the kernel presents on arch linux already comes with iptables? I didn't find it on my packages.
I know that we using linux we don't real need antivirus but we could use a firewall probably right? So if the iptables don't come with the kernel we need to install it and compile again the kernel and than configure it? It's really worth using a firewall on linux?
Sorry for the questions, but I would like to know.

I switch to arch linux with the intention to learn more about linux that's why I'm doing these questions.

Thanks.

Last edited by ilusi0n (2010-06-15 21:58:10)

#2 2010-06-15 19:33:48

ataraxia

Re: [SOLVED]Some questions about security

NetFilter (kernel portion of IPtables) comes standard. Just install "iptables" package with pacman to get the userland parts. You don't have to rebuild the kernel for this.

#3 2010-06-15 20:11:55

Cyrusm

the wiki has a great article on iptables to help get you started.

the arch linux kernel does come precompiled with iptables support, however you still have to install iptables.

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#4 2010-06-15 20:40:20

ilusi0n

Thanks for your fast answers. I wasn't aware of that. But we really need to use iptables? I mean, most of other distributions came with iptables and most of users don't notice iptables and don't even configure it (they came already configurated?)
It was just to be totally sure that even without iptables arch linux is secure or is really necessary?
I know arch is secure depends how user configure it. But was just to know if with or without iptables is secure already or we have some advantages on use it?

Meanwhile I will read the wiki Cyrusm  smile

#5 2010-06-15 20:55:45

brisbin33
Website

depending on your home network setup, iptables may not be needed.

my router acts as the firewall.  i consider any in-LAN traffic (192.168.0.*) to be safe, and i know the only other traffic getting to my box not by my own request is what i've specifically forwarded in my router config page.  iptables would only complicate the setup.

obviously, if i wanted to use my (or any) computer as a router/firewall for my network, that'd be a different story and iptables would be exactly what i'd want to setup.

#6 2010-06-15 21:57:50

ilusi0n

I understand know. Thanks for the clarifications wink

And by the way thanks for the fast answers as well : )

Last edited by ilusi0n (2010-06-15 22:04:36)

Board footer