You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-16 00:13:34

johnisevil
Website

Gnome 2.10 brokenness

Since upgrading to Gnome 2.10, I've noticed a few small problems.

1.  When starting gdesklets, none of the desklets display and don't display when you attempt to start them from the gdesklets manager.
2.  gnome-blog doesn't work.  When running it from a terminal this is the error it gives:

[john@metatron ~]$ gnome-blog-poster 
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gnome/vfs.py:4: DeprecationWarning: Module gnome.vfs is deprecated; please import gnomevfs instead
  DeprecationWarning)
Using gconf_prefix /apps/gnome-blog
/opt/gnome/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnomeblog/rich_entry.py:21: GtkDeprecationWarning: gtk.TRUE is deprecated, use True instead
  self.set_editable(gtk.TRUE)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/gnome/bin/gnome-blog-poster", line 52, in ?
    app = BloggerApp()
  File "/opt/gnome/bin/gnome-blog-poster", line 35, in __init__
    on_entry_posted=self._onEntryPosted)
  File "/home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gnome-blog/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnomeblog/blog_poster.py", line 41, in __init__
SystemError: NULL result without error in PyObject_Call

#2 2005-03-16 10:17:33

JGC
Developer

Re: Gnome 2.10 brokenness

Gnome blog poster is a bit broken at this moment, the only thing that works is the gnome panel applet that allows posting from your gnome panel, so it is still in a usable state.

Gdesklets has been upgraded to a new release and I did some tests on it before I put it in testing. I didn't have problems with it, but I didn't test all available desklets available. Could you start the gnome-desklets thing from a terminal and show me what errors it gives when you start a desklet?

#3 2005-03-16 10:42:47

johnisevil
Website

I mainly use the SideCandy gdesklets and here's the error it gives in the terminal whenever I try to open any of them

Connected to daemon in 180 microseconds.
Connected to daemon in 204 microseconds.

==========================================================[03/16/05-05:40:01]===
=== Error in the core! Please report this bug!

[EXC]exceptions.IndexError:
[EXC]list index out of range
in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/shell/ItemBrowser.py: line 114 __on_activate_item
in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/utils/Observable.py: line 45 update_observer
in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/shell/plugins/DisplayBrowser/__init__.py: line 121 __on_activate
in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/shell/plugins/gDeskletsClient/__init__.py: line 36 open_display
in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/main/client.py: line 58 open_display
[---]/home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/main/client.py
[---]   53 
[---]   54         @return: The ID of the new display.
[---]   55         @rtype : str
[---]   56         """
[---]   57 
[ERR]>  58         return self.__send(COMMAND_OPEN_DISPLAY, path)[0]
[---]   59 
[---]   60 
[---]   61 
[---]   62     def open_display_with_id(self, path, ident):
[---]   63 
[---]   64         """

#4 2005-03-16 10:53:14

johnisevil
Website

As for posting to blogs using gnome-blog's panel applet, here's what I get of it in all its glory.

gnomeblog.png

#5 2005-03-17 03:01:55

ganlu

It works for me here, so maybe your system configuration is a liitle mess-up.

#6 2005-03-17 05:16:36

johnisevil
Website

Looks like I have a new gdesklets problem.  I tried clearing my .gdesklets directory to see if that helps and now it doesn't start at all.  When starting it from a terminal this is the error it gives

[john@metatron ~]$ gdesklets start

You're running gDesklets for the first time.
gDesklets will start a requirements check now...

Checking requirements:
 - sys ... found
 - xml.sax ... found
 - gtk ... found
 - ORBit ... found
 - gnome ... found
 - gnomevfs ... found
 - gconf ... found
 - gtkhtml2 ... missing
Version check failed.

gtkhtml2 python bindings are required.

Please make sure that the required software is installed.
Also try to avoid having multiple versions of a library/binding on your system.
gDesklets won't work if you don't have all necessary dependencies installed
on your system.

THE STARTUP WILL BE CANCELLED NOW!

I have both gtkhtml and libgtkhtml installed.

#7 2005-03-17 05:40:46

aCoder
Website

Well, after upgrade, gDesklets starts fine for me, however, I've noticed a few small problems.  For example, in starterbar, I can no longer edit or remove starters. (really annoying)  I don't have any idea why you might be missing a dependency, however.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#8 2005-03-18 00:24:02

yowwww

My starterbar is broken again too. I use this every day and it is on several Arch boxes, but unfortunately, it seems to break every time anything remotely associated with it is upgraded. It must be frustrating for maintainers. I don't know why this is such a constant issue.

Here is the output when I try to start my starterbar with gdesklets shell:

==========================================================[03/17/05-19:23:47]===

in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/shell/ItemBrowser.py: line 114 __on_activate_item
in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/utils/Observable.py: line 45 update_observer
in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/shell/plugins/DisplayBrowser/__init__.py: line 121 __on_activate
in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/shell/plugins/gDeskletsClient/__init__.py: line 36 open_display
in /home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/main/client.py: line 58 open_display
[---]/home/jan/cvs/extra/gnome/gdesklets/pkg/opt/gnome/lib/gdesklets/main/client.py
[---]   53 
[---]   56         """
[---]   57 
[---]   59 
[---]   60 
[---]   61 
[---]   63 
[---]   64         """

#9 2005-03-22 01:54:47

blitze

Pain in the ass is my take on it.  I updated Nautilus 2.10-2 and it has borked my Gnome desktop.  I'm sure I could delete my gnome settings from my home directory but I couldn't be f'd.  I'm now playing with Xfce.  Quite a nice little desktop and with some improvements on the way with it's file manager it will be great.

KISS all the way baby.

Leave ones footprint not in the physical world but the in the world of the mind.

#10 2005-03-22 02:33:42

Gullible Jones

Openbox + ROX. tongue

I just wish there were more DE-independent apps... Why does Bluefish depend on all that GNOME stuff, for example?

#11 2005-03-22 03:33:50

shadowhand
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

Openbox + ROX. tongue

I just wish there were more DE-independent apps... Why does Bluefish depend on all that GNOME stuff, for example?

Hear, hear! I have a lot of KDE crap installed so I can run Rosegarden and k3b, and a lot of Gnome crap installed so I can run Gaim, Gimp, and Bluefish. ....  roll I wish I could actually have a DE independant desktop. Or even better, just be able to use one DE. lol

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#12 2005-03-22 10:52:32

johnisevil
Website

I think I've isolated my gdesklets problem, I think there's a problem with either gtkhtml or libgtkhtml.  Not only does gdesklets refuse to work because they're missing (apparently, even though both are installed), I tried compiling a few things that depend on gtkhtml with the same results.  Anyone else experiencing this problem?

#13 2005-03-25 22:40:16

WiLLiE

yeah, same problem here. nothing works in gdesklets anymore.

==========================================================[03/25/05-23:34:51]===

in /usr/lib/gdesklets/shell/ItemBrowser.py: line 114 __on_activate_item
in /usr/lib/gdesklets/utils/Observable.py: line 45 update_observer
in /usr/lib/gdesklets/shell/plugins/DisplayBrowser/__init__.py: line 121 __on_activate
in /usr/lib/gdesklets/shell/plugins/gDeskletsClient/__init__.py: line 36 open_display
in /usr/lib/gdesklets/main/client.py: line 58 open_display
[---]/usr/lib/gdesklets/main/client.py
[---]   53 
[---]   56         """
[---]   57 
[---]   59 
[---]   60 
[---]   61 
[---]   63 
[---]   64         """

#14 2005-03-25 22:54:49

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

wastelander42 wrote:

I might be having a similar problem, but with balsa.  Whenever I try to start it:
balsa: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkhtml-3.1.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

In /opt/gnome/lib I have libgtkhtml-2.so.0, but no mention of the above file.

Upgrade gtkhtml:

pacman -Sy gtkhtml

#15 2005-03-28 16:12:05

starthis

I think I've isolated my gdesklets problem, I think there's a problem with either gtkhtml or libgtkhtml. Not only does gdesklets refuse to work because they're missing (apparently, even though both are installed), I tried compiling a few things that depend on gtkhtml with the same results. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I'm experiencing the same problem. gtkhtml package is up to date, but still gdesklets fails to start. Recompilin gdeskets from source leads to the same problem. Anybody solved this already?

#16 2005-03-28 22:05:04

johnisevil
Website

I'm experiencing the same problem. gtkhtml package is up to date, but still gdesklets fails to start. Recompilin gdeskets from source leads to the same problem. Anybody solved this already?

I addressed this issue a while ago and apparently no one has a fix for this.  This doesn't seem to be an Arch specific issue but other distros like Gentoo have already fixed this.

#17 2005-03-29 08:32:27

starthis

but other distros like Gentoo have already fixed this

How did they fix it? A patch in gtkhtml package? Or is the problem  elsewhere?

Board footer