You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-15 17:48:46

Ben_the1st

Network problem when installing (transient resolver failure)

Hi everyone!

I've been using Arch linux on my pc for a while, and now I decided to install it also on my HP 550 laptop, but I got some problems I can't solve. Problems started when Igot to the "Package selection" part of the installation process. I got the error message "Pacman preparation failed! Check /dev/tty7 for errors.". I checked tty7 and it says the famous "transient resolver problem" . I've once met this problem, and changing the source page (advised on many pages) that time helped, but now it doesn't.
Ok, I decided to take a look at the internet connection. I'm using the ethernet card (Intel 82562GT), because the wifi card needs firmware from AUR (Broadcom BCM4312) to work. I'm connecting with DHCP, so I typed:

# dhcpcd eth0

It looks like it works, I got an ip address. But when try

# ping -c 3 www.google.com
ping: unknown host  www.google.com

So it's sure that it has something to do with the network connection or the ethernet card.
Anyone has any idea, what should I try to do?
Sure it has to work, because the previous OS on the laptop was Ubuntu.
Thanks in advance!

Balazs

Balazs

#2 2010-06-15 21:47:05

Surgat_

Re: Network problem when installing (transient resolver failure)

Well, you first need your interface configured properly. After dhcpcd, you should `ifconfig eth0` to see if it has an IP address, mask and gateway, so ping your gateway to make sure you have access to it. After that, you only need some DNS servers to resolve domain names. DNS servers are configured at /etc/resolv.conf. It should have been filled by dhcpcd, but if it hadn't, try your gateway or some DNS servers you may know. For example, 8.8.8.8 is a public DNS of Google's.

Oh and if you don't know how to specify a DNS server at /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 8.8.8.8

Good luck!

#3 2010-06-16 09:44:16

Ben_the1st

Thanks for the tip. It turned out, that my card doesn't have an IP address. After ifconfig eth0 where there should by the IP-address, i get: UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST. I read that it must be some problem with the module loaded for the ethernet card. So I reloaded it, but still nothing. I tried with an ubuntu install cd (because with it the network works) if it tries to use the correct module, and it is using the right one, so I don't know what to do.  Can the newer kernel cause this (compared to ubuntu)? Any ideas?

Balazs

Balazs

#4 2010-06-16 12:19:56

Surgat_

I don't think it's related to the module... Have you tried setting a static IP with the correct mask and gateway? Maybe dhcpcd isn't getting an IP correctly

#5 2010-06-16 16:24:03

Ben_the1st

Thanks. I tried it before your post, and that time it didn't work, now it does. There has been a dhcpcd update few days ago, I hope that will work correctly. It's strange for me, because the Arch system I'm writing from now was installed from the same cd I'm trying to use with my laptop, and I didn't have any problem. So the only difference is the hardware. I hope dhcp will work, I'll post about it.

Balazs

Balazs

Board footer