You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-17 17:35:13

Mad Fish

Flash on x86_64.

No extra/flashplugin anymore.
nspluginwrapper-flash from AUR has rendering issues in Firefox (at least) and hangs the browser very often (on right click usually).
lightspark-git from AUR failing to build.

Need advice.

#2 2010-06-17 18:00:34

Runiq

Re: Flash on x86_64.

Ditch flash.

Problem solved.

smile

#3 2010-06-17 18:12:12

Mad Fish

Runiq wrote:

Ditch flash.

Problem solved.

smile

I wish I could. It is needed for some important websites at moment, especially (but not limited to) YouTube. HTML5 player on YouTube is behind on features currently, is not available for all videos, and requires me to leave Firefox (which is my preferred browser).

#4 2010-06-17 18:19:27

redkiwi

I use this version despite security hole:

Adobe Flash Player 10 64-bit Linux 10.0.45.2 Alpha + FlashBlock

nspluginwrapper runs not stable... sad

#5 2010-06-17 18:27:43

Runiq

Mad Fish wrote:
Runiq wrote:

Ditch flash.

Problem solved.

smile

I wish I could. It is needed for some important websites at moment, especially (but not limited to) YouTube. HTML5 player on YouTube is behind on features currently, is not available for all videos, and requires me to leave Firefox (which is my preferred browser).

Are they really that important to you? Just saying – I've been without youtube videos ATM and can't say that I miss them much. If I really do want to see that particular video, I can always d/l it using youtube-dl. Newgrounds will have to wait, though …

Oh yeah, there's also supposed to be an mplayer plugin that allows you to watch those vids in mplayer IIRC.

#6 2010-06-17 18:30:00

cookiecaper

The security hole for Flash 10.0.45 is pretty serious and there are live exploits for it. I definitely wouldn't keep using it.

nspluginwrapper-flash has been working OK for me, only requiring an occasional page refresh, from Chromium. It's performing much better than it did on Firefox and I haven't had a crash of it yet.

There is gnash and swfdec which you can try too, though I hear swfdec hasn't been maintained for a while. I don't know if that's true or not. Hopefully lightspark will be fixed shortly.

I agree that this situation is pretty sucky, though. This is what happens when you use a proprietary technology to run your site -- your viewership is completely at the mercy of Adobe. It's surprising that people still use Flash when it has such a bad history -- Flash 9 skipped Linux completely, and x86_64 support has been horrible, and all non-Windows support has been horrible. Flash is an onerous, horrible yoke and we have to kill it.

I also strongly suggest trying out Chromium for a few days. IMO, it's far, far better than Firefox.

#7 2010-06-17 18:36:13

Mad Fish

cookiecaper wrote:

I also strongly suggest trying out Chromium for a few days. IMO, it's far, far better than Firefox.

It's faster but does it really matter? My observations show that it's hardly noticeable on regular websites (not on special demos that use JS heavily).

In contrast, Chromium:
* Have non-native-look. Totally ignores theme for scrollbars.
* Have no autoscrolling. I use that often.
* No real adblock. That's the main reason.

#8 2010-06-17 18:43:26

cookiecaper

The adblock extension I use for Chromium works fine, haven't had any problems with it. It even blocks YouTube ads. http://code.google.com/p/adblockforchrome/

New versions of Chromium have conformed with the gnome theme for the most part. There's still some blue on the tab bar, but the icons inside have adopted the themed look. I don't know about scrollbars, I don't pay much attention there.

I don't know what "autoscrolling" is!

But, it does matter. It's not just the JavaScript VM. It's the interface and the program itself. It comes up much faster, tabs are much easier to move around, crashes or hangs bring down only one tab at a time, which has been awesome, and there's lots of other good things about it. And, in my observation, nspluginwrapper works better with it. Just try it out for a couple of days.

#9 2010-06-17 19:10:08

mythus
Website

With browsers, it is subject to user taste. I myself prefer konqueror/rekonq, and second opera... but I also use firefox for fall back and web design, and when using pekwm. I am right now trying to determine what casues my own site to load so slowly in rekonq and konqueror browser... wondering if it is my own setup or a problem with my site and webkit (or just qt webkit)...

But on to the subject, I myself don't use flash and hate flash lol. If I want to watch a movie from youtube, I download it. *shrugs* to each their own I guess... but it does such that we linux x64 users who want to enjoy such interactive media are at the mercy of a proprietary company.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#10 2010-06-17 19:55:18

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Flash x86-64 dropped discussion here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=98904

Closing

Board footer