You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-17 21:28:27

wantilles

[SOLVED] A question about kernel26-lts

If you look at the kernel26-lts PKGBUILD, theoretically, it can coexist with the normal kernel26.

But, it really can't.

Because when it is installed, it is going to replace the /boot/vmlinuz26 file of kernel26, with its own.

Is this right, or am I getting something wrong?

The reason I am asking this is because I want to migrate a certain machine from kernel26 to kernel26-lts.

The machine is in a remote location and I do not have physical access to it, only ssh.

So I do not want to make any mistake and end up with an unbootable machine at the end.

Last edited by wantilles (2010-06-18 09:15:30)

#2 2010-06-17 21:33:11

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] A question about kernel26-lts

you are wrong, kernel26-tls has vmlinuz26-lts and it would generate kernel26-lts.img and kernel26-lts-fallback.img. you need to adjust the grub menu to point to the right images

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-06-17 22:40:15

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Might be a gamble if you get your menu.lst wrong.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2010-06-18 00:25:35

bones
Website

Both kernels coexist nicely on my server with no problem at all

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#5 2010-06-18 06:40:35

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

wantilles wrote:

If you look at the kernel26-lts PKGBUILD, theoretically, it can coexist with the normal kernel26. But, it really can't.

Not sure what empirical evidence you have to back this up. roll Especially since you can install both kernels through pacman, and pacman would check for file conflicts; so if they could not coexist pacman would alert you about certain files already being installed. Better even, if the packages were to conflict, then pacman would already know because of the conflicts=() line in both PKGBUILDs.

The reason I am asking this is because I want to migrate a certain machine from kernel26 to kernel26-lts. The machine is in a remote location and I do not have physical access to it, only ssh. So I do not want to make any mistake and end up with an unbootable machine at the end.

Even if the kernel26-lts pacakge were to replace certain files, you could easily just remove that kernel and re-install the regular kernel26 again after that. No harm done. One thing to keep an eye on regardless of what kernel you install: make sure your bootloader can find the new kernel before you reboot.

You won't wreck your system by trying, and that's the easiest way to falsify your assumption wink. This is something basic you can find out easily, and if you're really scared you can try it on a local system, I'm sure it's not just the server you run Arch on.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2010-06-18 09:15:14

wantilles

Hm yes.

You were right and I was wrong.

I failed to notice a variable in the PKGBUILD that acts as a suffix to the filename of the generated files.

Board footer